General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm buying a 60K mile car, what should I look out for?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 07:53 PM
Default I'm buying a 60K mile car, what should I look out for?

What are the recommended services? Car is a LX 2.3L manual.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ps. I'm looking to buy an Accord Coupe manual from 98-02, <60k miles, will pay a reasonable price for it. I live in LA area. If you know anyone interested in selling, please let me know.

Old 04-18-2007, 03:30 AM
SLCAccord
Unregistered
Default RE: I'm buying a 60K mile car, what should I look out for?

If it's been treated well, it should drive fine. Here are some things I'd look for: Leaks of any kind. If something is leaking, determine what and why (did it just get an oil change and some got spilled, or is it the main shaft gasket that's leaking?) Clutch: it should have a lot of life left, but all depends on how it's been driven (my Accord is at 143k w/ orig clutch). Vibration: Does it vibrate at certain speed while accelerating or braking? If so, could be just alignment, warped rotors, CV wearing, or maybe something bigger(?) Speaking of, check the CV boots to make sure they're not torn. Brakes: does it brake smoothly? Any pull, pulsing, grinding sounds? Underside: rust, damage beyond a simple scrape here or there? Is the exhaust system sealed & in good condition? Spare tire well & under the floor mats: any moisture/water that could indicate a lead or rust? You may consider taking it to a car wash to ensure the integrity of the the door seals.

Then I'd also check all the electrical, *****, seat belts, windows, AC, wipers & washer, open & close doors, etc. If everything passes your expectations, you may want to spend $50-$75 to have mechanic do a pre-buy inspection for added piece of mind.

Summary: 60K in my opinion is a very comfortable mileage if it's been maintained & you like it; you'll probably be fine. Good luck!

Old 04-18-2007, 04:28 AM

The seller won't lower his price, I'll probably have to look else where. What would be a reasonable price for a 2000 LX manual (wheel cover steel wheels)? or EX manual, both at 60K in very good condition?

Old 04-18-2007, 06:12 AM

Check kbb.com and edmunds.com to get an idea of what to pay. It lets you enter your zip code so you have any idea of prices specific to your area. What's homeboy want for the car, if you don't mind me asking.

Old 04-18-2007, 02:51 PM

I already checked Kelly Blue Book is way too high and that's what the seller is going by. I offeredthem the edmunds.com price and they were insulted. It's a LX without any options and is due for 60K service, they're asking 8200 & don't want to budge. They had a for sale sign on the car asking $8,600 and had the car for sale for 1 month now.

Old 04-18-2007, 05:12 PM

Yeah KBB is way too high most of the time. When I sold my expedition the kbb was 6800 private party good condition. Sold the car for 800 less. People were even trying to offer me dealer trade in. Time to find another car if they want kbb price. Good luck. Keep us updated.