General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

I'm having starter problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 07:54 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default I'm having starter problems

I have a 2002 Honda Accord LE sedan with 120,000+ miles on it. I recently had my starter replaced because the car wasn't starting and it wasn't the battery. When I replaced the starter, the car started right away. I had the same problem happen today when leaving work, but it started after trying to start the car a few times. When I got home, I noticed a noise and when I opened the hood, I heard the starter still going, or I think it's the starter. It eventually stopped but when I put the key in the ignition, it started again. I didn't even turn the key in the ignition, the starter also started smoking this this time. Is the problem common and what can I do for it?

This is a video of it.

Also, my brake light keeps turning on, what can I do to stop that?

Old 05-28-2013, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

A new fault. Starter is remaining engaged to the flywheel. Not sure why. It could be electrical fault (ignition switch) causing start signal to remain on or possibly very sticky bendix movement of the starter failing to disengage.

Suggest checking for 12V on the starter signal wire (small blk/wht wire) connecte to the starter solenoid. If you have 12V w/ keyswitch in On position, the problem is faulty ignition switch assy. Easy DIY replacement that takes about 1 hr for first timer.

good luck

Old 05-28-2013, 08:26 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I'm assuming the starter solenoid is the smaller cylinder on the starter. Is this the starter signal wire? https://i.imgur.com/K8ma1Gg.jpg How do I tell if it's in on position? Also it seems my battery is dead now. I'm not sure how it died. I had the battery checked a month ago and it was fine.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:08 PM

Yes, solenoid is small cylinder on back of starter. Wire should be blk/wht. It pulls off of a ridged pin on end of solenoid.

Dead battery suggests a stray load or run down from excessive cranking attempts.

good luck

Old 06-04-2013, 11:14 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Hey again. I have tried recharging my car, but whenever I do, the starter starts spinning again then the battery drains right away and this is without the key even in the ignition. Eventually it stopped and the car had some power, but the battery died in less than a minute. Also do I buy the full ignition switch or just the wiring?

Old 06-05-2013, 06:36 PM

You confirmed no 12v start signal on blk/wht wire?

Keyswitch is an electrical switch assy (not mechanical key assy) that provides start and power distribution. They are a common failure point in Hondas and Acuras.

good luck

Old 06-05-2013, 09:10 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Hi, I replaced the the ignition switch wires with a new one. But I still have some problems. When I try starting the car, it just clicks now. I'm assuming something is wrong with the starter since last time I charged it, the starter began spinning then stopped. But this time I got my brother to jumpstart the car and the car turned on and everything but I just checked the car again right now and the car had no power again. I didn't crank the ignition after my brother was done jumpstarting the car so why did I lose power?

Old 06-05-2013, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

TexasHonda asked this question, but you never answered. Does the small wire going to the starter have 12V when the starter makes this noise?

Old 06-05-2013, 10:24 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Oh I'm sorry, yes it does.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator

Does your car have an alarm system and/or a remote starter?

Quick Reply: I'm having starter problems