General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm new here

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 06:07 PM
icecoldstar
Unregistered
Default I'm new here

Hi all.
I have 2002 Honda accord DX manual.
it's got a lil over 100K on it. Should i change the clutch now or something?
and also, is freewheeling bad for the car??? I read somewhere that while car is in neutral while running, the engine has to produce heat to keep it at operating temperature

Old 04-03-2008, 06:35 PM
Default RE: I'm new here

If it's not broke don't fix it.... if the clutch isn't slipping leave it alone... and by freewheeling do you mean coasting to a stop sign in neutral? If so then that's not bad for the car at all, the engine is going to produce heat no matter what you do (laws of friction) while it is running....

What recent maintence aside from oil changes have you done?

Old 04-03-2008, 06:57 PM
icecoldstar
Unregistered

I'm really a newbie... lol
what do you mean by it's slipping??
I noticed noise when i step on it though....

The previous owner got some new tires at 90K, and I got new brakes
I'm thinking about getting a cold air intake and maybe a turbo whistler(so other dummies think that I got turbo for my ride)

Old 04-04-2008, 08:24 AM

Welcome to the site. I don't know what you mean by 'freewheeling' either.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:06 AM

The clutch is probably fine. I'm at 132k on my 2000 LX and my clutch is fine. I hope I never have to replace mine (it will cost upwards of $700 to have someone else do it). There is nothing wrong with leaving the car in neutral while running. I will actually put less stress on the clutch. If the timing belt has not been changed before, you probably need to get that done ASAP!
Other than that, welcome to the forum!

Old 04-04-2008, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

If your clutch were slipping, you'd probably be complaining about it. When the clutch wears out, it'll begin to act like you're pressing partway down the clutch pedal. When you try to accelerate, the engine RPM will climb high but the car won't actually accelerate to match.

Disengaging the clutch or shifting to neutral as you coast towards a stop won't hurt anything. But it won't really save you gas. If you leave it in gear & simply take your foot completely off the gas pedal, the momentum of the car will keep the engine turning. Since your foot is off the gas & the engine is turning faster than1200rpm or so, the ECU will shut off the fuel completely.

Shifting to neutral on long downhills is illegal in some states...

Old 04-05-2008, 01:36 PM

ORIGINAL: icecoldstar

I'm thinking about getting a cold air intake and maybe a turbo whistler(so other dummies think that I got turbo for my ride)
Don't do that. Who's the dummy, the one that hears the noise and thinks there is a turbo under there, or the one that puts a fake turbo sounding device on his NA vehicle.

Old 04-05-2008, 02:49 PM
icecoldstar
Unregistered

^^ lol, just in general. Maybe my mates will think that I actually got a turbo for my car... (i got fooled once, and it was pretty interesting)

Also, I have noticed that I do NOT have to push the clutch ALL the way down in order for me to shift the gear. that's normal right?

Old 04-05-2008, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator

Sorta normal, if it's not TOO high. I know I said to do that to understand what a 'slipping' clutch feels like; but that's not a good habit to shift like that.

IF your clutch were worn out, that disengagement point would move higher as it wore more. That's 'cause the clutch automatically adjusts itself & it has run out of travel.

Does it ever slip while you're NOT pressing the pedalpartway down?

----
I moved this from the NEWBIE forum because it's kinda technical.
Good Move Jim, that's what I was talking about

Old 04-06-2008, 06:36 PM
icecoldstar
Unregistered

lol, sorry about this mods

Without pushing the clutch, the gear doesn't slip at all.... so i guess that would be good news
thanks for all the helps guys