General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

I'm stuck! 1999 Accord EX V6 radiator fan issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

Your fans will only turn on when the coolant temperature is above 199 °F. Since your radiator is new and your gauge in the car reads normal, the coolant is likely being cooled enough that the temperature remains below 199. Follow JimBlake's advice to get the coolant temp hot.

When you short that temperature switch, both fans should turn on. Only the radiator fan (drive's side) is currently working. Both fans turn on when you turn on the a/c, so the relays are working properly. I'd start with this test. Unplug the connector to the condenser fan (passenger side) motor. Start the car, short that temperature switch, then check for voltage on the two pins of that connector. Let us know what you find.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:28 PM

Thank you all for your advice! So it looks like I've made my life more difficult than it needed to be, and left myself without a car for days - for no reason. LOL!
Regarding the bypass test, my mistake saying only one fan turned on. I did it again and both fans actually turn on. I think I was so excited to have figured something out that I wasn't paying attention.
I burped the system, then covered the grill with a blanket and after letting the car idle and not have the temp go up enough, decided to rev it at around 1800rpms for 3-4 minutes. Heard a click and the fan came on, they quickly stopped. Ran it again for a few minutes and it came back on again. After that, it started to cycle as it should. Gauge was sitting a few ticks below half, and dropped to its normal 1/3 level after the fans ran. So it looks good!
I'm very happy and extremely appreciative to all of you for your suggestions and support. This forum is awesome!
Unless I hear otherwise from any of you, I'm going to assume that I'm good to drive. I'll be sure to keep an eye open for issues and top up as need be.

Old 10-24-2015, 02:57 PM

Nice job! Roll on..

Old 09-24-2021, 08:34 PM
Default I have the same exact car same year and everything and same problem!

Originally Posted by justonestep
New to forum & really need help-I'm without a car until I fix this! Older threads I've looked at don't help me. Don't know what to do next.
This is my first major attempt at DYI due to financial constraints. I probably know just enough to get myself in trouble. My Radiator had a crack at the top so I replaced it with one from parts store. Decided to also replace the thermostat (Honda part). After replacing both, the fan still didn't come on (ran engine 15-20 min). Both top and bottom radiator hoses were hot to the touch but engine didn't feel hot. Installed the thermostat in same position as the old one, with arrow pointing up (did not test it before I installed it).
So I tested the fuses (under the hood only) and then bypassed the fan switch-and the fan worked. Did not test the fan motor since didn't have the proper tools & also figured the bypass test answered this. So bought a Honda fan switch. Re-drained the radiator, installed it, refilled the radiator (using Honda blue) - and the fan still doesn't come on. It runs when I bypass the new switch (I checked this again), and when I run the AC - but won't turn on when the engine temp warms up. Temp gauge holds at around 1/3, raising slightly when I let the engine idle 20 minutes. What next? What have I missed?
P​​​​​ I have the same exact car and the same exact problem,I have replaced the thermostat and flushed the cooling system and it seemed to be ok for a while(a few months)but I live in AZ and this summer got to be115 to 120 in the shade and I would turn on the AC and it would be ok slightly high until about 20 mins later and going up an incline then I could see temp gauge literally race to the red zone and I would have to pull over and turn the heater on untill it was back down in normal range so that right there confirms the fact that the fans in these cars are major faulty and being as they are no longer under any warrentee we as the owners pay the price for Honda's bad wiring and non-functional part...I am wondering if Honda ever had any kind of re-call on that particular issue??