General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Importance of fluid changes

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 08:00 AM
Default Importance of fluid changes

I had some preventive maintenance done today and got a freebie out of the deal. I had the brake & clutch system flushed and filled with new "Honda" fluids. Also had the manual transaxle drained and filled with Red Line MTL, which was already in it......I supplied that and recommend it highly. The front end man drove the car and commented on the exceptional smoothness of the gearbox. I bragged on the Red Line MTL for the buttery feel of the shifter. Now he wants me to get him three quarts for his car!

What a difference all the fluid changes made! Not that any of the systems were acting improperly but the new fluids really made the shifting, clutch, and brakes smoother than ever. Knowing Honda ABS systems don't like dirty fluid - that was a main priority.....and the pedal is just a tad higher/stiffer to boot.

The freebie was a flush & fill of the power steering fluid. The tech read "center steering wheel" as change power steering fluid.....HUH??!! The last time I had it alligned (2 weeks ago) the front end man didn't get the wheel centered so that part of the work order was meant for him, obviously. Kinda scary in a way but I'll take it. That's one more thing I won't have to mess with for a while.

The service writer knows I'm a picky old fart and made sure to tell me about the PS fluid because he knows I keep a log of all work done on the car by date & mileage.

All in all a very good deal for $95 + the Red Line synth fluid. Out in 2.5 hours, not too shabby.

The pointof this post?Don't forget the (easily forgotten) fluids to keep everything in tip top shape. Now my clutch engages/disengages more smoothly, the brake pedal is high & firm, the 5 speed almost shifts by will alone--slickest it's ever been. No difference in steering feel but I didn't expect any.Keep in mind my car only has 28,500 on the clock.Keep the fluids changed!
reposted from DAC[/align]__________________
[/align]

Old 09-09-2007, 10:15 PM
Default RE: Importance of fluid changes

Most people look at me strange when I tell them I flush my brake fluid every 2 years, 3 if I'm lazy. All the rubber seals in the brake cylinders will last a loooong time with clean fluid. I use a pneumatic vacuum fluid 'sucker', takes an hour at the most, including jacking up the car and taking the wheels off.

And I do the MT fluid, but will consider Red Line next time.

But I never thought about the power steering or clutch fluids. Time to read my service manual.

Old 09-09-2007, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator

I've never seen power steering fluid called out in the maintenance schedule for ANY car. I replace mine because I can't believe it would last 'forever'.

Clutch fluid is same as brake fluid. It absorbs moisture which makes it corrosive.

Another one is antifreeze. You can measure specific gravity with a hydrometer, but that doesn't measure the anti=corrosion properties. The anti-corrosion package gets 'used up' and there's not an easy way to measure that.

Old 09-10-2007, 05:13 AM

Very good post. I never have thought to have my brake and p/s fluid replaced. I guess because honda doesn't have an interval. But thanks to you good sir, i'm gonna have my brake fluid and p/s fluid changed.

Did you go to an independent shop or to the honda dealer?