General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Info on Sat Nav / Blue tooth system wanted

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 06:51 AM
scapegoat
Unregistered
Default Info on Sat Nav / Blue tooth system wanted

Hi,

New to the forum. Looking at getting an Accord estate, Exec spec, CDTI. Love the car so happy it fufulls my needs.

However I am interested in getting thethe Sat Nav and Blue-tooth car kit as I currently have a std car kit and Tom Tom and use them both. On the face of it this seems like an improvement on the bolt-ons I currently have but having spoke to a local dealers - they don't seem to be able to give a lot of info out on it so I wondered if anyone here could answer some questions on it / give their opinions.

Phone kit:
Does it charge the phone?
Do you see the phone book from your phone on the car display?
How easy is it to make and recieve calls using this system?
Is this system voice activated?

Sat Nav:
Can you navigate to Post Codes?
How does the voice activated stuff work in real life - useful or gimmick?
Touch screen - good/bad. Or do you use the buttons in practice?
Most critically - it claims to link to 'upto date traffic information'. How does it do this and is it any good in practice?

All advice welcomed

Old 06-25-2007, 08:13 AM
Guindalf
Unregistered
Default RE: Info on Sat Nav / Blue tooth system wanted

You're talking UK spec I think. I'm in the US (although I'm a Brit ) so there are huge differences, but I'll tell you what I know.

I have the '04 EX-L/NAVV6 model, which was top of the line when I got it. No Bluetooth (it's on the luxury version, the Acura TL here), so I can't tell you anything there.

However, the Nav system, I think, is at least based on the same lines. The touch screen is the ONLY way to use the system apart from a few one-off controls. The voice is part useful and part gimmick. The biggest thing is that it worksto controlthe Audio system and A/C as well as the nav controls. I travel up to 40k a year for work and when I'm in an area I don't know, it's really useful to be able to say "Find the nearest Hotel/Restaurant/Gas Station/Post Office", look for a branch of Staples or find the courthouse (which is where I work!).

Up to Date traffic information here is provided by XM Satellite radio, which I believe is a subscription service. Again, only available on the Acura models, so I have no personal experience. But I understand it will make the system reroute you if there is a traffic jam ahead on your route. It's supposed to workpretty well from what I hear.

The redesigned '08 Accord will almost certainly include these features, but information is scarce at the moment. The new car is due some time in October.

Hope this helps a little.

Old 06-28-2007, 01:44 PM
scapegoat
Unregistered
Default RE: Info on Sat Nav / Blue tooth system wanted

Thanks for response.

Yes its UK spec car, though your comments are useful.

Anyone with a UK car with these options have any comments?