General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Infotaiment system update

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 05:30 AM
Default Infotaiment system update

2014 Accord exl,
Does any one know is it possible to update infotainment system to android car play?

Old 01-29-2017, 12:25 PM

In answer to your question, my 1st thought is to check with the dealership. Considering that you have a 9th gen Accord and the EX-L does come with the duel screens one would think that adding ACP would be a matter of software. Once again, check with the dealer

I have Android Auto (Car Play is an Apple app) in my EX-L and have found it to be practically useless.. and therefore wonder if the possible expense of an upgrade would be worthwhile (?)

Last edited by Prospector; 01-31-2017 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:45 PM

My 16 has android auto, and I only use it for Google maps (navigation). I did use it a couple times playing music, but I would rather not have to plug the phone in every time I drive the car, so most of the time I will just use XM radio. So unless I need navigation (going on a trip), I don't use it. Much simpler to use Bluetooth for everything else, because I don't have to plug it in. If android auto worked, without having to plug the phone in, I would use it more often.

From whay I've heard, Honda will not upgrade previous year Accords with AA or ACP. I guess they want to give you another reason to buy a newer model.

Last edited by EXV6NIGHTHAWK; 01-31-2017 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by EXV6NIGHTHAWK
I did use it a couple times playing music, but I would rather not have to plug the phone in every time I drive the car. If android auto worked without having to plug the phone in, I would use it more often.
Agreed.. and so does nearly 18K people who gave it an average rating of only 3 Stars

Old 02-02-2017, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

Can't say on the Accord and this is "crossing Gen's". The 2016 Pilots did not come with "car play". Yet the 2017 does and you guessed it, it didn't take long for someone to take the "black box" of a 2017 and install it into a 2016.....and they now have car play.

Would I ever do something like that....no. One reason, and a big one, I don't even know what "car play" is

Old 02-02-2017, 08:08 PM

I think it's worth having, just for the google maps, so I'm not saying it's worthless. I didn't want to pay the price for factory navigation just for the few trips I do take per year, and with android auto the google maps will display right on the car's screen. Now I can give my Garmin to my brother because I didn't like having to stick the garmin to the windshield and have the wire hanging down from it.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
Can't say on the Accord and this is "crossing Gen's". The 2016 Pilots did not come with "car play". Yet the 2017 does and you guessed it, it didn't take long for someone to take the "black box" of a 2017 and install it into a 2016.....and they now have car play.

Would I ever do something like that....no. One reason, and a big one, I don't even know what "car play" is
Apple has rebranded its in-car iOS functionality CarPlay, while the equivalent Google technology is currently known as Android Projected Mode.

Both aim to do largely the same thing, namely sync a mobile device to a car's integrated infotainment system and use the former to drive features, functionality and even the on-screen interface.

In other words, the maps and multimedia functionality you seen on the car's display are actually being processed and rendered on the mobile device, typically a smartphone.

Old 02-02-2017, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by EXV6NIGHTHAWK
I think it's worth having, just for the google maps, so I'm not saying it's worthless. I didn't want to pay the price for factory navigation just for the few trips I do take per year, and with android auto the google maps will display right on the car's screen. Now I can give my Garmin to my brother because I didn't like having to stick the garmin to the windshield and have the wire hanging down from it.
I too did not want to shell-out the additional cost of the in-car Nav. Guess I'm just old school and not into using Navigation, if need be, I can pull up maps on my phone or simply look at an atlas. I do have the advantage of 15 years over-the-road experience.... back in the years before Navigation... so, I can jump in my car and drive to any city in the States (rarely) without looking at a map. But, to each their own and I do understand why many people like Navigation