General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Instrument Cluster Help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 04:16 PM
Default Instrument Cluster Help ASAP

Ok so I'm new to this forum but I've used it to answer a lot of questions and at this point my question may seem redundant but I'm looking for specific answers so here we go.

I tried to change my gauge faces out. I followed the instruction with the kit (horrible mistake) and pulled my needles off, dumbest move ever. So I've searched the internet far and wide and called my mechanic and the honda dealership and can't seem to fix the calibration so I have decided to change the instrument cluster out. I found one on EBay that looks the same and has the same connections and specs however my car is a 4 cyl and this cluster is out of a 6 cyl... I don't think that will matter as the transmission is the same but please correct me if I'm wrong. Also. When I plug the new one in... will the gauges still work in the same way? for example if the previous car had half a tank of gas and i have a full tank... will it reset correctly... I'm pretty sure it will but again please correct me if I'm wrong. and does anyone know if it is possible to swap the odometer. I know the actual milage of the car will be saved on the computer but the actual gauge on the unit has it's own memory as well. I've read up on it but not found a clear answer. Any answers to these questions would be so helpful and greatly appreciated. Thank you

LUKE

Old 07-06-2011, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

In the common DIY threads at the top of gen tech help forum, I have a link to a parts compatibility DIY.

It looks like the V6 has a different cluster part number than the 4-cylinder, so I am not sure if it will work.

You should be able to find a used cluster on car-part.com. It searches junkyards by price or distance.

I think if you should you original cluster with the odometer. Then put the gauges in from the used one. The tach, temp, fuel, and speedometer change according to the signal from the sensors. You probably want to keep the odometer from your car, so you have the correct mileage.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

There are always tons of clusters for sale on ebay, I would just find one that has close enough mileage to what is on your car.

Or a lot of the sellers actually know how to roll the odometer to match whatever you want. Just email them and ask if they can.