General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Interior light problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 06:31 PM
Default Interior light problem

2008 Accord EXL 6cyc

Went to dealer today for oil chg. etc. Asked them to check out the map and dome lights which were not working. Courtsey door lights do work. Seemed a simple fix, maybe just fuse or bulb but it was much more. Dealer recommended replacing the map light control and bulb. Cost 171.81 + tax. Of course I didn't have it done. Could something seemly as simple as a control unit & bulb be that expensive. Electronics these day are inexpensive, what's up with this issue and is it possible this was misdiagnosed

Thanks
Skip

Old 09-11-2013, 01:01 AM
Administrator

Hello new member
Did you change the bulbs?

Old 09-11-2013, 05:06 AM

Yes, dealer said buls ok, controller unit bad

Old 09-11-2013, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I don't have a 2008 shop manual, so following is based on my 03-07 shop manual which should be similar/identical to yours, but can't be certain.

Circuit is very simple manually switched or auto on w/ door open circuit w/ two paths to ground; first is complex path through MICU (multiplex integrated control unit) and second is direct path to ground when map or ceiling light is manually selected by pushing switch to On position.

If lights are off for both conditions (door open or manually switched), then power delivery is the problem; bad fuse, wire, electrical connector. Suggest checking under-dash fuse and for 12V at the Map and Ceiling lights (wht/blu wire in my manual). Examine electrical connections carefully for evidence of damage.

good luck

Old 09-12-2013, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator

Just me but some of these have had issues with bad switches......Dorman Products sells just the switch (google 924-798) and not the whole unit......but again, test before replacing.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:06 PM
Default Map Light

My wifes 08 V6 EXL has a light problem. The left map light works when you manually turn it on but it doesn't come on when you open the door. The right map light works fine. Has anybody else had this problem?

Old 01-29-2014, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by imdav2u
My wifes 08 V6 EXL has a light problem. The left map light works when you manually turn it on but it doesn't come on when you open the door. The right map light works fine. Has anybody else had this problem?
Technical Info.
The map lights have dual functionality; (1) turns on if pressed, and (2) works if door opened. Because the map lights have "dual functionality" there are two separate ground sources involved in the circuit. (1) When the map light is pressed on, the light switches gets their ground source from the base of the unit. (2) If a door is opened, the light switches gets their ground source through wiring coming from the Multiplex Integrated Control Unit (MICU). – All the individual doors switches (at each door) are wired into the MICU (located in the under-dash fuse box).

It probably is the micro-switch at the map light base unit, unless the base unit has corrosion, etc.. The micro-switch has three small receptacles which interface with three metal blades. One of these metal blades is not making sufficient contact inside the switch for the driver's side maplight bulb (probably the blade for the ground source coming from the MICU).

See post #8 in the following thread link for a little more info.

You can always try swapping the right map micro-switch to the left map side to see if that is the cause before you buy the micro-switch. Also, examine the base unit.

Mouser Electronics sells the ALPS switch (ALPS part number SPED210200) for $1.84 each, plus shipping.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...ed-help-11343/