General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 09:37 AM
Default issues

I have a 94 accord, the timing belt is broke. I am going to replace it but I have a few concerns. 1: if the timing belt breaks while engine is running will it damage other parts of the motor? 2: one of the spark plugs has what feels like rubber around it so the socket will not sit on it to remove it, any one have any idea what this is? 3: all 4 of the spark plug areas has motor oil inside.
I'm not sure if all these items are related or not, any info will be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

1. The accord has an interference engine, so the valves likely got bent. You have a couple of options here depending on how you choose to repair this.

2. That is strange. Did part of the spark plug wire stick to the spark plug?

3. There are seals on top of the valve cover that likely need replaced. If you car is not an EX, there are o-rings under the rocker assembly that are more involved to replace.

All three items seem like they are unrelated. How many miles were on the timing belt when it broke? How many miles are on the engine?

Old 08-07-2011, 08:04 PM

PAHonda is right on this, however i have seen a few car with interference engine that broke timing belt on start up or just driving normal and did not damage the valves or piston. But if it breaks during high rev then i'm sure the valve will be bent. Depending on how many miles on the motor, if high mileage then just take the head out and send it to a machine shop and have them service the head and check for flatness, then reinstall the head with new head gasket, install new timing belt and water pump then the motor should be good for a long time.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

#2 - Maybe the rubber insert from a sparkplug socket stuck onto the sparkplug?

Old 08-11-2011, 08:32 PM

Thanks for your help guys, I will keep you posted on how the repairs go. PAHonda, not sure how many miles are on the belt (my brother bought it for next to nothing and he didn't ask) I think the engine has 200K, give or take.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

The valves likely got damaged, which means you should remove the cylinder head and replace the bent valves. If you are over 200K on the engine, you probably want to do the valve guides, since you will have the head apart. The head should also be milled. You should call a local machine shop to get a quote.

The other option is to install a used engine. This may be cheaper if you know how to pull an engine and have a cherry picker to pull it. You can look at sites like car-part.com for local yards that may have an accord engine. That site is nice, because you can sort by distance or price. I found a lower mileage engine when I consider doing this on my 95 EX accord for under $250. I decided against it and bought my TSX.