General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jacks

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 10:36 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default Jacks

I need to lift the front end of my car to take of the front bumper, change my oil, and few other things. I'm a bit t00fatt to fit under there with out jacking it up. My question is how is this done with two jacks? I need to go out and buy a couple jacks, THIS ONE HERE caught my eye, will two of these jacks be good enough to jack up the entire front end? Also is there such thing as little ramps you just drive your car onto? Could have sworn I seen these but can't find them online.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:48 AM
Default RE: Jacks

That jack you linked would be a pretty good choice. What you need is 2 jack stands. You don't need to get under the car being supported only by a jack (or 2 for that matter). Here's what you need: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=38846
My advice, go to your harbor freight store. They may have a set that comes with jack & jack stands. Or go to WalMart. I know WalMart here sells them. WalMart here also sells the ramps you drive your car up on as well. Or go to AutoZone, Advance, O'reilleys, etc.. they should sell them as well.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:55 AM

So are you saying I jack the car up, then let it rest on the stand one side at a time? Do I jack up the car from the same place you jack it up with the stock jack, then stick the stand next to it?

Old 08-14-2007, 11:02 AM

You jack up the car and put the jack stand right next to where the jack is on the frame (at the jacking points). Do that to both sides. I would buy a floor jack like the one you posted though for ease of jacking. The stock jack is a royal PITA to operate. The floor jack will have the car up in less than 30 seconds.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

There's normally a jacking point in the center front, under the radiator. Lift there with a jack, then place jackstands under the sides where the tire-changing jack would go.

On my '98 the front & rear center jacking points are shown in the Helm repair manual but not in the owner's manual. I'll guess the 7th-gen Accord is the same way, but I haven't had to lift it yet because nothing's broken.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:24 AM

That would make it easier if there is a jacking point in the front. I just looked in my Haynes repair manual, and it doesn't say anything about a front jacking point. I guess I could call Honda service and see what they say about a front jacking point.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

On earlier Accords, through 97 at least, there is a longitudinal beam beneath the engine that is the jack point. There is a similar designed lift point on the rear frame to provide a central lift position. I used this recently to lift rear end and support on jack stands for access to drop the fuel tank. Locations were in the 94 Accord shop manual.

good luck

Old 08-14-2007, 04:23 PM
Deleted User
Unregistered
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 08-14-2007, 04:26 PM

Depending on your budget, and room to store this stuff, I'd suggest a larger jack and four jackstands. Thejack you linked to will do the job, especially since jacks are rated low to be sure they'll be safe lifting at their max. But a larger jack will give you a few more inches of lift, and if you'll be doing lots of work, over time you'll be glad you spent more.

Plus, a second pair of jackstands will let you get both ends of the car in the air, which for rotating tires, doing exhaust work, or dropping the tank like TexasHondasaid,will be great.