General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JDM F23 engine swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 11:01 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: JDM F23 engine swap questions

Interesting then... only valve covers I've seen are corroded yuck or nicely painted.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:38 AM

nope, not corroded or dirty, i cleaned it up real nice when i had to take it off to check my valve clearance abot 10k ago.ill try to post a pic 2nite or 2moro

Old 12-10-2008, 11:42 AM

ORIGINAL: JimBlake

^^^ in which case he would probably already know what JDM means...
HAHAHA.... Funny guy! Dude, I may be a noob to this forum with my less than 10 posts but Im no noob when it comes to the japanese domestic market. I have an Acura Legend with a jdm motor and tranny, both from Okinawa... I had the jdm headlights (1 piece) an unsucessful OEM Navigation swap, window visors and doorsills. Im not a noob when it comes to the C32A or my G35. I never thought Id have to do anything to my accord. Thats the problem.

I know nothing because I never tried to look into it. The only reason I joined this forum to jump in on group buys, to buy parts I need etc.

I never knew I needed to swap an engine. The whole (jdm) thing Im talking about is not putting yellow fog lights or getting a body kit with some staggered wheels... Im trying to get a used accord motor FROM japan... That was the key to asking around.

Getting back on subject, I found an engine locally. Its off (well its still in) a 2002 EX and it only has 46,3XX miles on it. It doesnt have the alternator, ps, ac compressors but I can swap mine in. It also doesnt have the TB or the ACV

Im gonna pick it up tomorrow for $500 Im also getting 2 door lock motors... I need those, teh passenger side front and the one behind the driver. $50

Will I run into any complications with this engine swap? Its the exact same F23A4... Just wondering If I will need to reset teh ECU or anything... Let me know.

BTW, what sticker are you talking about???

Old 12-10-2008, 11:47 AM

It should swap right in. You'll have the battery disconnected anyways, so they ECU will reset itself for the new motor.

I think he was talking about an emissions sticker... who knows.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:48 AM

Once again, I appreciate everybody's help and input with my situation... You guys are super fast!!!! Keep up the good work

This is the engine that I see around a lot. What model does this come in?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-9...Q5fAccessories

Old 12-10-2008, 12:16 PM

nah... Cali doesnt make you put any of those ridiculous stickers on your car... You take your car to the smog shop, pass, go back to the dmv, pay your annual registration, and you get your registration sticker for the year. It goes on your plate, it only has teh year and the # on it. You have to smog it every 2 years. It sucks but, hey what can we do... If you have a hookup here, it usually means they can pass your car if it fails smog. OBD2 is expensive though. I think its cheaper for a fix. Unless you need a cat. Good luck getting a hookup at the dmv. They alternate employees more than a hooker changes underwear.

Those inspections I hear about in other states when they check your light system, your belts, visual, and all that is only required when you re-register a vehicle that is salvage for teh first time. I used to have a salvage Q45 but I never had to go through that. Maybe the previous owner. Cali aint as bad as you think... the emmisions aint that bad, you just have to take care of your car. I see some cars polluting like a muthaf**** thats why the emmisions are tough. Yea it sucks because you cant tune but if your car is running right, youll pass. My 92 Legend was far from stock, but I had it in such good condition it still passed with flying colors

Old 12-10-2008, 03:43 PM

JP98: Don't be offended by Jim's comment. After re-reading the first page of this thread, I-d question your knowledge of JDM Honda motors as well. Knowing what the letters stand for and what they actually mean are 2 different things. I understand that you have not researched Honda engines and were not aware of the difference in model designations.

Regarding the sticker that I mentioned, I was talking about the state inspection sticker. I live in NJ and we have to get inspected every few years depending on the age of the car. They used to do the license plate stickers for registration also, but that only lasted for a couple years. Regarding your project, I recommend that you use a USDM F23A4 engine like the one that you found because it is a CARB certified engine. You are less likely to be hassled about an engine that your state has approved for use on its public roads.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

Nah, I meant it as teasing, in fun. Im sorry, cause Ididnt mean it to be insulting.

Even tho its an F23A4, Honda may have made some subtle changes from year to year. And the EPA regs generally get tighter & tighter from year to year & Honda has to keep up. Best is to grab an ECU from the same year as the engine.

The fact that it IS an F23A4, and a NEWER year than your car; I think you should have no problem certifying it. Where I hear people getting stuck is trying to convince CARB that an older engine will meet the newer smog requirements.

F23A1 = 49-state VTEC
F23A4 = California ULEV VTEC
F23A5 = non-VTEC from AccordDX or LX.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:47 AM

No... You guys got me all wrong.. NO OFFENSE TAKEN. Im part of a few other forums so I didnt get my E-feelings hurt guys. I just thought it was funny because some guys do that on acura legend too. Not to me but, it happens. I appreciate the matureness level on this forum though... Thats probably why you guys are mods.

Yea, we dont have to have any inspection stickers. No inspections either unless you get cited for smoking everywhere or bumpers hanging... You know, but the every 2 year smog does take effect and its stricter every time.

Im gonna ask the guy to throw the ECU in on the deal and see what we do. Im picking it up today, Ill be sure to post some pics once I grab it.

Again, no offense taken. Thanks for all the input.
Big NOOBIE question.... Ill search it in a few nimutes. I dont know where teh ECU is located in this car. Inder the pass. floormat like most hondas????

Old 12-11-2008, 11:15 AM

ORIGINAL: JP98

No... You guys got me all wrong.. NO OFFENSE TAKEN. Im part of a few other forums so I didnt get my E-feelings hurt guys.
Inder the pass. floormat like most hondas????
Oh, we all know HAF is filled with a bunch of...

Name:  E-thug.jpg
Views: 1857
Size:  53.1 KB

And yes, just pull back the passenger carpet and lo and behold! The ECU is on the other side of that kick panel!

Quick Reply: JDM F23 engine swap questions