General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just bought a 2000 accord and have a ton of questions please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 02:50 PM
Default just bought a 2000 accord and have a ton of questions please help

Hey this is my first post and this is the first Honda I have ever had so I'm new to all the different styles models etc and wanted a little help with some things .
First I'm not sure what my car is as far as like ex lx etc I will give you some specs and hopefully you can tell me
Its a 2000 accord no ex or lx stickers or anything
It has the 3.0 v6 with Vtec
Leather interrior all power options driver side power seat
Cruise control CD cassette am FM air conditioning etc
Auto trans .
Second can you tell me what mpg rating this car has and also HP and 1/4 mile time
Everything works runs great but when shifting from first to second it feels kind of rough when it shifts is this normal and when your going about 25 if you floor it and let off a few seconds later it will stay at high rpms for about 2 seconds
Last question is I paid 1700 for it did I get a good deal or did I pay too much it has 169000 miles interrior is very clean no rips tears etc outside on the roof and trunk the clear is baked a little from the sun other then that its in great shape
Also it has power sunroof and aluminum wheels sorry forgot about that
Thanks for your help and I'm sorry about the grammer I'm using a phone to type this thanks !

Old 12-04-2012, 02:56 PM

its either a EX-L or SE (Are the rocker panels -the kick plate that is below the doors- black or painted to match the color of the car?)

1700 sounds like a damn good deal. Now what you are saying about the transmission worries me. I would check your transmission fluid, it should look like strawberry syrup and not smell burnt. If it does smell burnt or looks brown you should replace it.

200 HP quarter mile times are around 16.5 for the V6. If you are looking to race this car you are going to have to do tons of work, probably at least 2x the amount you bought it for

Old 12-04-2012, 03:03 PM

Thanks for the fast reply and its painted to match and the fluid is red but not burnt the person I bought it from had regular services and had The whole log book filled out in the owners Manuel from services do your think it is serious or just has the wrong fluid are the transmissions expensive new ? And it feels like it has a lot of get up and go possible because its fwd ? Sorry about the ignorance on the subject but I have always owned mustangs till now lol I've heard the Honda guys talking about all these funny names for parts and stuff like b16 and skunked and junk as f##k lol I bought it for a family car but I like feeling a little power here and there

Old 12-04-2012, 04:46 PM

Painted rocker panels means its an EX-L

I don't think its an issue unless it is slipping between shifts, it feels like a slipping clutch (because thats what it is). I baby my transmission, I lift between shifts like a manual.

FWD does nothing more than put power down, the sensation is slightly different but most people can't even tell.

b16 is an engine designation, b stands for the family and the 16 is the displacement. B series are mainly in civics, integras

Modern Accord 4 cylinders were F22b1,2,3, or 4 then in 1998-2002 they became F23a1 or 4 (since 2003 they are now K series)

Your V6 is a J30a1 VTEC, it replaced the 5th generation's C27 (6th gen is 98-02)

Skunk is an aftermarket tuning company, they produce exhaust and other performance items.

Fortunately the J30 has a beautiful engine note, If you are interested I would suggest having a custom exhaust done. 2.5 inch with CL type S mufflers, it is not too loud but gives a throaty sports sound.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:49 PM

Mods are listed as the title, IMO it sounds a little loud (due mainly to the intake) but its still a sporty sound.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:28 PM

Thanks for the help its in the inspection station tonight hope that goes well lol . And that sounds awesome . Now for another question sorry for all the questions I'm just excited I've always been jealous of all the neat mods for Honda . Ppl talk about VTEC kicking in how do I know when VTEC has kicked in and what does it mean for the stickers that say my VTEC goes whaaaaa!?

Old 12-04-2012, 06:49 PM

VTEC kicks in when oil pressure hits a certain level. on your engine the engineers have designed it to have a lower vtec activation point for better torque and subsequent economy. I believe if the oil pressure is there it happens at 3500 on the J30.

There is absolutely no need to adjust the activation point. They set it up to be "seamless" this doesn't mean that if it activates earlier you will get more power.

For example an H22 which is in the last gen prelude, the vtec hits at 5500 rpm and the engine reds at 7.5-8k. When it clicks into vtec you get about 35 hp, its a kick in the pants. People have found that by lowering the vtec activation point to 4000 that you dont get the punch in the back like you do if it was stock but you get more power sooner. So subsequently, if your raise the activation point on your J30, sure you'll get more of a hit when it activates but the engine will be down on power till it gets there so it will be slower not faster. In other words by raising the activation point you would be robbing yourself of power that you can have at a lower RPM.

The engineers have developed your engine to have a smooth torque and horsepower progression. Don't mess with it.

there are ways you can hook up a little light to tell you it has activated but I wouldn't do it. It is kinda ricy and will be more of an annoyance than anything else.

Last edited by Silver6gen; 12-04-2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:42 PM

what it means is when vtec hits on a H22, F20c or B18 you hear it.

Example:
start the video at 1:20, at 1:33 you will hear vtec

this is what vtec does

ps 4,500 rpm is not what all vtec cars are set at

Last edited by Silver6gen; 12-05-2012 at 04:56 AM.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:04 AM
Administrator

Thank You Silver6Gen for all the good info and help you gave that member..We love it when you members jump in with good information that is true to help them out..

WheelBrokerAng