General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Just bought a 96EXV6. Help on questions i have

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 06:46 AM
Default Just bought a 96EXV6. Help on questions i have

Hi, i recently bought a 1996 honda accord EX V6 with 120K miles on it. Automatic. It is a 2.7L 24V VTEC right.

Few questions.
1. how do i know if the timing belt has been replaced? by looking? what to look for?
2. the engine makes a ticking sound but runs very smooth and strong
3. what is the correct idle at full operating temp in gear?
4. i noticed that sometimes i open the oil cap on the valve cover and see steam/smoke in there
5. do these engines burn oil
6. what oil is best for this high mileage VTEC V6? what weight?
7. hat are the common problems with this year/type of car? engine and trans problems?
8. where are common leak points
9. how hot do these engines run? my needle stays at under half tick always
10. how much HP does it make to the rear wheels?

Im sure there are more questions i have but cannot think of any right now. Thankyou very much for all of your replies

Old 03-08-2006, 08:05 PM
Default RE: Just bought a 96EXV6. Help on questions i have

No one can answer any of these questions?

Old 03-08-2006, 08:12 PM

ORIGINAL: 96AccordEXV6

Hi, i recently bought a 1996 honda accord EX V6 with 120K miles on it. Automatic. It is a 2.7L 24V VTEC right.

Few questions.
1. how do i know if the timing belt has been replaced? by looking? what to look for? no way to know unless you have service records.
2. the engine makes a ticking sound but runs very smooth and strong. those are injectors, dont worry about it, normal.
3. what is the correct idle at full operating temp in gear? 550 rpm from what i remember.
4. i noticed that sometimes i open the oil cap on the valve cover and see steam/smoke in there. ??????????
5. do these engines burn oil. they shouldnt
6. what oil is best for this high mileage VTEC V6? what weight? 5w30
7. hat are the common problems with this year/type of car? engine and trans problems? ??????????
8. where are common leak points. if the radiator hasnt gone yet, it will.....
9. how hot do these engines run? my needle stays at under half tick always. thats good. it should always be under halfway.
10. how much HP does it make to the rear wheels? rear wheels? 0. front wheels, i think 170. (front wheel drive)

Im sure there are more questions i have but cannot think of any right now. Thankyou very much for all of your replies

Old 03-08-2006, 09:11 PM

Thankyou markus. The smoke looking through the cap in the valvecover is not there while the engine is running bc the PCV valve is prolly sucking it back into the intake via vacum. but when i turn off the car and open the cap i see the smoke just dwelling bc there is no vacum.

what temp does the fan/fans come on stock? also what degree is the stock thermostat?
and lol at the rear wheel question, i am used to my LS1 trans am WS6[>:]

thanks again bud

Old 03-08-2006, 10:32 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

wow you have really picked up a great car. id be happy to answer your questions.

timing belt......if you dont know.....get it replaced immediately you have a interference type non freewheeling motor, so if the belt breaks your motor is toast. and get the water pump and accessory belts done at the same time.

ticking sound.....the motor should be deathly silent...so maybe just switching to a better oil will do that, or maybe the rocker arms need to be adjusted but you have a hydrolic system so it automaticall takes up slack, so i bet you just have some cheap oil in there that is maybe the wrong weight.

idle speed should be 650-750 rpm in neutral, you dont measure it in gear.

steam and smoke inside the valve cover is normal, for cheap oil, because it burns off alot of hydrocarbons, get your oil changed with mobil 1 5w-30

with mobil 1 your motor should burn one quart of oil every 3- 4000 miles with a dino oil it shouldnt burn anything (synthetic is slippery so it gets past the rings a little.

your motor is not a high mileage motor it just got broken in....this isnt a chevy anymore. your motor was designed to last for 750000 miles and if you have ever noticed how many old *** legends are still on the road this is a testament to this fact.

problems? not too many the engine tranny is rock solid and any other little bugs have probably been worked out by now. your tranny fluid needs to be changed every 15000 miles with HONDA ATF, nothing else period.

my gf just got here ill have to finish this up later

Old 03-08-2006, 10:34 PM
rollinga92
Unregistered

you can pull the timing belt cover off and check the belt make sure its not cracked and dried out

Old 03-08-2006, 10:55 PM

Thanks guys very informative. The owner told me the belt was replaced at 90K and looking through the hole it looks new but i cant really see it The oil and trans fluid are full and look good. the trans fluid is cherry red and does not smell burnt. the oil is light brown and does not smell burnt. what oil and weight do the dealers put in the car when it gets serviced bc thats prolly what the engines been running its whole life and i dont think its good to change from that (dino to syn or vice versa)

The car drips no fluids but I went under the car and saw a lot of burnt oil on and around the oil pan and seal from transmission to engine?

While the engine was running i went under the car and heard a slight tapping coming from the block it seemed. almost like a piston slap? are these 2.7L 24V V6's all aluminum? are they known to have slap/make noise?

What temp does the fan/fans come on stock? also what degree is the stock thermostat?

Old 03-13-2006, 11:22 PM

Also the tach jumps around(up) in rpm every now and then but doesnt seem that the engine is reving with it, just the tach? real quick spike up in rpm sometimes at idle and when i give it steady gas it will spike up like 500-800rpm and come back to where its supposed to be? weird any help? just bounces around

Old 03-14-2006, 01:14 AM

If you are not sure the timing belt has been replaced, replace it anyways!!!!!!!!

The 96 accord v6 is known to tick when the lifters get gummed up from infrequent oil changes.

The accord v6 was not VTEC until 98

I don't recommend switching to a synthetic motor oil in an older car. Regular oil is just fine as long as you change the oil and filter frequently.

Your motor makes 170hp before the wheels.