General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just hit 50k..What maintenence should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 02:26 PM
bpdunlv
Unregistered
Default Just hit 50k..What maintenence should I do?

I have a 2004 4 door Accord EX, 4cyl.
I love the car and have not really had any problems so far.
I recently hit 50k miles and wanted to know if I should do any preventative maintenence or flush fluids, or replace anything.

I am going to put new brakes and tires soon, but wanted to know if anyone reccommends doing anything else to ensure my car will be on the road a long time.
thanks

Old 07-15-2009, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

The maintenance schedule is different depending on the year of your accord. I think that your owner's manual has that information on when to change fluids. Regular oil changes are probably the most important.

If you are replacing brake pads, I would change the brake fluid. If something isn't listed as due for a change, then I would still check that it is at the proper level. Check/clean battery terminals.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

New brake fluid every couple years to prevent it from getting corrosive.

New antifreeze to refresh it's anti-corrosion capacity.

Pretty sure your spark plugs are supposed to go 100k miles. You don't have a distributor, so there's no cap, rotor, wires, etc... Suspect spark plugs if there's any issues with drivability, but probably they're OK.

I think I replaced the serpentine drive belt (alternator etc) around 50k or 60k on mine.

Auto tranny? Drain/fill the fluid with Honda ATF. For various reasons, Honda autos don't like being power-flushed. Owner's manual interval for ATF is rediculously long. Manual tranny fluid is supposed to last "forever" (?!?!?)

Inspect EVERYTHING. Are you gonna do the brakes yourself? Take a real good look at all the rubber boots on all the ball joints. Axles. Steering rack boots. Stuff like that.