General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 01:04 PM
Unhappy Key issues

Hi Honda owners!
I'm a bit of a Honda veteran but now driving a 2015 Golf GTI. I have a question.
We have a 2009 2.4 Accord in the family, runs good but a beater. We have a key issue though. We have only a valet key that works now. We bought an uncut key with the innards on ebay and tried to program it and it worked. We had the factory cut shell minus the electronics and we switched the programmed guts into the factory cut shell and tried to start it. It just starts for a second and then quits. I tried disconnecting battery in the on position for 5 minutes but that didn't work.
Any ideas what might help? Sorry for the length of this!

Old 08-12-2017, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

There are two types of programming.

1. Programming the remote transmitter for the door locks and window opening controls.

A DIYer can perform this type of programming.

2. Programming the key transponder chip for the Immobilizer system to start the car. Although the car may initially start with a properly cut key blank; if the Immobilizer system in the PCM does not receive the correct transponder signal, the engine's fuel system will be disabled shortly afterward.

A DIYer generally cannot perform the Immobilizer programming. Generally, this has to be done at the dealer and very limited number of specialized locksmiths with the proper programming software.

The transponder chip in embedded inside the gray colored valet key; which doesn't have any features to control door locks and opening the windows.

The transponder chip in a regular key is part of the remote innards on 8th generation Accords.

Old 08-13-2017, 12:34 PM

Thanks redbull, that's what I was afraid of!