General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key will not move to start

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 08:59 AM
Default Key will not move to start

I dropped my car key in the snow. A Dealer cut a new car key for only $3.19 (no extra charges due to being a 1997 Accord) I opened the car door, tried to turn the key, would not move one hundredth of one inch. Peefed I called the Honda dealer who came out to me in a courtesy car and we put another key in matching the vin number, year and make. It was the same problem. The driver called his service department who said, “It could be an ignition chip or the steering column. We could tow it in to service.” I thanked him my dad gave me the car, I have taken car of it. Money is a problem any month after an onset of a birth defect. I am living on social security disability. The car started Monday but the car was stuck in snow and ice; I dropped the old key running with my dog.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:07 AM

So is this fixed, or can you still not turn the key in the ignition?

Old 01-09-2014, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

Will the new key work in the doors?

Do you know whether the locks were ever changed on the car? If the dealer made the key based on VIN, they may not have known about changed locks.

Or... back to a suggestion that was made in your other thread. Is the steering turned in such a way that it's putting pressure on the lock-pin? Sometimes a good key won't work until you begin turning the wheel one way or the other.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:55 AM
Default Key won't start the car

I have no problem entering the driver's side door. The steering wheel will move a little bit. The kid who brought out the 2nd key inserted into the right side where you see park, rear, nuetral, forward, 2, 1, this gear shift moves with the key in the column. But if the key (we both tried) are placed into ignition the key will not move at all let alone not start the car. The lights can be on, the bell chime reminder goes off if you exit with the key, but it will not start the car. Couln't be a battery, or starter as when somebody needs a jump. The new keys (cut twice by the dealer ill not move to start car at the ignition stage.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

Call a locksmith like Shipo stated in your other thread.

The ignition switch key cylinder and ignition key may have been changed before like JimBlake mentioned. However, the doors key cylinders may not have been changed (which is why a Honda key made based on the VIN still works). On my previous 95 Accord, I had to change the ignition key cylinder; but, I left the doors unchanged as the car had high mileage and I gave my car away after I changed the ignition key cylinder.

Some worn Honda keys were known to be able to open other Honda cars for older models; which may have been why a mismatched ignition key still previously opened your doors.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:24 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by bhktops
I have no problem entering the driver's side door.
Does the new key turn and lock/unlock the driver and passenger front door? How 'bout the trunk?

Old 01-09-2014, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by bhktops
The steering wheel will move a little bit.
Again I ask, did you turn the wheel left/right while you tried to turn the key.

Let me explain..
  1. Turn wheel all the way to the right - It will move a little, very little, or some.
  2. Turn the wheel all the way to the left - It will move a little, very little, or some.
  3. Finally, move the wheel half way between the two points where the wheel stopped in steps 1 and 2 and old it there. When in that position, try to turn the key.
  4. If key still doesn't turn, a locksmith, or tow to the dealer may be your only choice.
Sorry to be a pita on this, but I saw it almost weekly when I was in the biz.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:33 PM

My 92 EX 5 door automatic came with one key that worked so so. Went to locksmith and got new key. It was worse than the first. Went to Honda dealer and had key made from Vin # .
Honda dealer key worked in doors but NOT ignition.
So I took the lock cylinder out of lock and adjusted the tumblers so now all 3 keys work.
Seems to me key length is crucial. I did have to remove steering wheel as I have air bags but with out air bags I think you could do it with steering wheel in place.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:09 AM

Obviously if you have an aftermarket lock cylinder the oem keys won't work anymore. You have to use the two keys supplied with the aftermarket lock cylinder.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:27 PM

We got rain (flooding conditions) in Chicago last 24 hours. Much of the snow melted. I walked outside this am found the key near the car. It started right up. Thank you for brain storming and offering to help.