General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking antifreeze

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 07:07 AM
Default Leaking antifreeze

Leaking antifreeze from the back side of the water pump. Where the pipe that runs along the back side of the engine under the intake manifold enters the water pump. Any quick fix, or am I looking at pulling the water pump and replacing the seal? Any quick easy way to do that? Thanks.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: Leaking antifreeze

Water pump leakage means the shaft seal has failed. It will only get worse w/ time. It can't be fixed w/o removing the timing belt and balance shaft belt. Most replace all timing belts when the water pump is replaced. Expect $500-900 depending on location. Use OEM parts.

If you're DIY, read timing belt instructions and download a manual. OEM parts are best, but there are some good aftermarket parts.

Put your car details in signature line. One of forum rules.

good luck

Old 04-06-2008, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

Inspect back there to be sure where it's leaking out.

Waterpump weep hole = bad seals on the pump.
O-ring #2where waterpump bolts to block =remove the waterpump. (Get a new pump?)

O-ring #26 for water pipe = remove the THERMOSTAT housing to take that pipe off. That pipe & it's O-ring go into the block, so removing the waterpump doesn't help you there.

You'll also want the O-rings at the T-stat housing, #25 & #26. They'll be hardened from heat & age so they probably won't re-seal.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:20 AM

It is definitely the pipe. I am installing JDM engine, last thing left to do was dump in antifreeze, leaking out of pipe behind water pump. Nice to know I don't need to take off everything to get at water pump. Hopefully will be able to get pipe out and resealed this afternoon. I am guessing that I didn't have the seal installed properly. And yes, I installed new timing belts and water pump.

Thanks for all of the great advice.

Old 04-06-2008, 01:36 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Make sure the pipe isn't rusted up when you have it out. Use lots of lube on the o-rings so they'll slide in evenly.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:21 PM

Have it apart, O-ring is cut. Was thinking about siliconing it, BUT I will wait to order the O-ring from Honda, auto parts store doesn't have one. Lube it with petrolium jelly? Pipe looks like new, no rust.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:00 PM

ORIGINAL: imjrk
Lube it with petrolium jelly?
Yea, that will work, I use wheel bearing grease.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:50 PM

when you are installing the pipe,, rotate it slightly back and forth while applying a bit of pressure installing it into the hole at back of water pump.less chance of getting snugged and cut . also, i use a bit of hondabond on the seal ,,,and also make sure that the hole where the tube goes in ( back of water pump ) is clean and rust free..