General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loss of power 03 Accord 190k miles

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 07:57 AM
Default Loss of power 03 Accord 190k miles

I have a 03 Honda Accord with 190k miles. Recently it has a sudden loss of power for no known reason. While driving especially on the freeway, it drops in speed from 65 to 30 no matter how far I push the peddle. After shutting it off and back on, it works for a bit then starts back up again.
I took it to a Honda mechanic who replaced a rear wheel sensor of some sort (not sure why he thought it was that) but it didn't help. I then took it to a Goodyear service center who states it is the transmission.
Has anyone had similar issue and what was the solution. Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance
Ben

P.S. I do not have any error codes at all at this time

Last edited by Justwondering; 10-09-2013 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Add addl info
Old 10-09-2013, 08:37 AM

Ok is the motor doing anything out of the ordinary or just suddenly lacking power? and your saying your getting no codes whatsoever?

Old 10-09-2013, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Honda Shop Manual suggests checking fuel pressure, however if this is an intermittent problem, it may not show anything during normal operation.

Another suggestion from manual was to check the throttle body, primarily linkage and Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). TPS check can be performed w/ a OBD2 scanner to look for Throttle Postions (%) of "about" 0% at idle and 89% at full throttle. Some tolerance in those values is likely since term "about" is used, but manual did not state any.

good luck

Old 10-09-2013, 09:13 AM

Hicksville, yes there are no error codes at all. The engine has no unusual noises. When it slows down, I floor the peddle which causes the engine to try to work harder but I get nothing but a bogged down sound.
Good thought on the TPS Texas however when the peddle is pushed to the floor, the engine does try harder it just boggs down.
As a side note all fluids and filters have recently been changed. When the transmission fluid was recently flushed, it came out very dark.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Justwondering
Hicksville, yes there are no error codes at all. The engine has no unusual noises. When it slows down, I floor the peddle which causes the engine to try to work harder but I get nothing but a bogged down sound.
Good thought on the TPS Texas however when the peddle is pushed to the floor, the engine does try harder it just boggs down.
As a side note all fluids and filters have recently been changed. When the transmission fluid was recently flushed, it came out very dark.
Ok so when it loses power your losing RPM? are you able to throw it in neutral and rev the motor? Meaning I wonder is the motor acting normal out of gear.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Is this a full-time problem or intermittent?

You should have crankshaft/camshaft timing checked. Slippage of timing chain by one cog might cause these symptoms. However danger is that it will jump again, possibly damaging valves. There was a recent 03 Accord poster who had this happen. However, I would have thought a fault code (P0341) would be set, but maybe only one cog might not set the code, but cause problems.

I wouldn't rule out TPS, since throttle body is mechanically linked to gas pedal. If you open throttle, engine will be severely leaned and if inadequate fuel is added by ECM (based on TPS input) to allow acceleration, then "sagging" or "bogging" will be the result. Easy check w/ OBD2 scanner, but also can be checked w/ VOM (0.5v at idle and 4.5V for full throttle).

Are you DIY or just looking for ideas. A Honda Shop Manual can be downloaded from automanualsource.com for $22. A good investment if you DIY.

good luck