General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost two mile stripe of oil! Any help?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 10:03 PM
HondaNut
Unregistered
Default Lost two mile stripe of oil! Any help?

Hi. I am new here and posting for the first time with a major issue. Driving my 94 Accord EX Coupe last night home and found big puddle of oil under engine this morning and two mile stripe from last night to the Starbuck's I stopped at. I cleaned everything up today and added 2.5 quarts oil(no reading on dipstick before this) which brought up to just above lower level hole on stick. No oil light ever came on when I drove last night FYI. No problem with oil drain plug or filter or any visible valve cover gasket leak. No leak from oil pan gasket. So I started car after filling to look for leak. I cannot see the leak exactly but it seems to come from around area of the lower accessory belt pulleys, very possibly from under timing belt cover in the same general area. Does not seem to come from high up at level of valve cover gasket as stated but cannot see under timing cover obviously. Some oil is on all the accessory belts and pulleys. It drips in a steady stream after 30 seconds of cold start-up today. Wondering of someone has seen this before and has ideas. I assume there is some gasket or set of them where shaft comes out engine on driver side to run timing/other pulleys. Any help very appreciated. I am not sure if I can remove timing belt cover but if this is not too dificult that could be my next step. 110,000 original miles on car for what it's worth, no problem ever. No engine mods of any kind. Good routine maintainence except original timing belt(yah, I know). Thanks.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Lost two mile stripe of oil! Any help?

There was a service bulletin for that engine to have a countershaft seal retainer installed.
But from your description one of the seals is the most likely problem.
You are driving on borrowed time with that old T-belt, might as well get it all done.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:36 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I may have good news for you. I know on the 1995 Accord the balance shaft seal leaks and Honda Warranties them. I would guess your 1994 would be the same. They replace the seal and put a retainer over it that bolts to the engine. What happens is the seal actually comes out of the housing. On my 1995 Honda also replaced the timing belts because of the oil. You have a big leak so that sounds right. Call Honda tomorrow.

Good Luck
Chris

Old 12-22-2008, 10:48 PM
HondaNut
Unregistered

Thanks for the quick responses. Great stuff. I do not know how the balance shaft seal is set-up and assuming this is the most likely problem given the location, can you tell me if replacing this seal is something that can be done without pulling the engine and cracking the cases, i.e. can it be done during T-belt change should I expect major surgery. Also is there another seal in this area or just the one for the balance shaft? Thanks again.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator

That seal can easily be changed when the timing belt is changed. The seal is on the outside of the engine, so only the balance shaft sprocket has to come off (by taking off one bolt).

There are other seals that are similar back there that can leak oil as well. They are all easily accessible. There is also a seal behind the oil pump that can leak as well.

Make sure that they put a balance shaft seal retainer to prevent that seal from popping out. It is a known issue and there is a TSB that Hondadude mentioned about that.

Old 12-23-2008, 04:11 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

You should replace the balance , crank, and cam seal, the timing belts, tensioners and water pump as this is all behind the covers and could cause you problems. If the belt gets oily it could fail. There is a write up with pictures I think on the Honda Tech Forum on doing the job. You will need the socket to hold the crank pulley from turning while removing the bolt holding it on. You will need something to get the balance seal in as it is close to the frame. I used some PVC with a cap on it, then drilled a hole in the cap then used the pulley bolt to drawn the seal in. You want the seals flush and square in their bores.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:15 PM
HondaNut
Unregistered

Thanks again for all the help. Had my car towed to Honda dealer. Replaced all belts, water pump, new balance shaft and one other seal that was leaking, new coolant and oil for $597. Great deal for me considering all the places I had called few months back for just timing and balance belt and water pump wanted $600-700. Thanks.