General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low clutch pedal

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 10:56 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default Low clutch pedal

I did a search first, but didn't really find what I'm looking for. I've got a 97 Accord 4 door sedan with an F22B2 engine and 5 speed trans, and the clutch pedal only seems to operate when it's on the floor (fluid level is up, and there's no leaks). As a result of this, I have to have the seat moved closer to the steering wheel to get it to operate (I'm vertically challenged). But, I'm more used to having vehicles with the clutch pedal engaging/disengaging about 1/2 way up/down the pedal stroke. Is there a way to do this? I'd really like to get my "Accord" logo'd floor mat back in place (it's in the trunk), as with it in place, the clutch won't engage at all. Note; I haven't noticed any slipping (had it in 5th gear and very low revs). I do have a FSM, but it doesn't go into the clutch pedal stroke very much. Does making it longer really cause it to move up and away from the floor? I'm just asking as I haven't tried it yet, as it seems to me that it would just "pre-load" the slave cylinder.
Thanks for any assistance you can offer.

Old 05-22-2016, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

It is possible that the push-rod was never adjusted properly. Have you always had this problem?

Watch the last 5 minutes of the video below. You may want to check if you have a lot of free-play before the metal push rod actually pushes on the clutch hydraulics. If you adjust, make sure that your are not applying pressure to clutch hydraulics, or your clutch will be partially disengaged and wear out quickly.

Old 05-22-2016, 07:57 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

In standard fashion, it wouldn't load for me. I may have to try a different computer to get it to load.
As far as adjusting, I couldn't tell you if it's ever been adjusted, and I've only had the car for almost 2 months (1st month spent trying to get it to run again). I did notice that it was very low (on the floor) when I purchased it. I've also compared it to my son's Civics (yes he has 2 of them), and it seems lower than his does. I did notice that I've got about 3/4's of an inch of free play at the very top, before I start getting any travel or feel any kind of resistance in the pedal. The clutch however is all in or out within the bottom 2 inches, and doesn't leave ANY room for error when shifting (in particular down shifting).