General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

DIY Windshield Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 09:49 PM
Default DIY Windshield Replacement

I didn't see anything in the DIY section, and seemingly I risk a ban for posting in the DIY request area...
So my windshield just started cracking yesterday, doubt if I'll be able to get it replaced for less than $275.
Definitely not in the budget right now so going to see what I can get just the glass for, plus on my car there's a gap between the glass and windshield trim, seems there's something missing.
If anyone familiar with replacing, either themselves or seeing it done, looking at this parts page, I'd need the glass, seal, No. 5 which isn't listed, but I'm not sure what would go between the glass and trim since other than the trim, the diagram indicates everything else behind the glass but would seem to be 3 and 4.
Any help, tips, tricks, links, and/or general knowledge would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Edit: The $275 was SafeTLite come to me replacement, I'll have to call around tomorrow, I'm sure it must be cheaper going to them. But I'm still concerned about the gap mentioned above.

Last edited by Thorsteenster; 05-19-2016 at 10:00 PM.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

I've never tried doing this. What year, model, etc accord do you drive?

Old 05-19-2016, 10:29 PM

D'OH! Just added it to my sig, a 94 Accord.

Old 05-19-2016, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator

The common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum has a link to online shop manuals where you can find the 94 shop accord shop manual. I think hondahookup link is still active.

I'd watch some youtube videos on how others do a DIY replacement of the windshield to get an idea of what is in store for you.

Old 05-22-2016, 08:49 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Having done a few windshields over the years (not on a Honda), the hardest part of the entire job is getting the old one out. I saw Safelite do a Camaro a couple of years ago (I was watching over the fence BS ing with the owner), and he spent a good hour just getting it out. He used some sort of cordless cutting tool, to cut the urethane out, before he cleaned up the area and added new urethane and the glass. Most glass shops have the trim piece for the window surround, while some windows actually come with it already installed. I'm not sure which is applicable to the Accord though. I've also seen a buddy spend close to 2.5 hours cutting 1 out too. In the old days, you used a cable (piano wire) to cut the urethane, but the newer stuff has to be stronger to hold the windshield in place due to air bags. Personally, I'd shop around and see if you can beat the 275.00 price, but you might find that's the best deal. Also keep in mind that the new glass will probably cost 175 of that 275 price.
Note; I just had a new windshield installed in a 2006 Chevy pickup. It cost 244.75 for the whole job, but I dropped the truck off and then picked it up after they were done. They also had it in stock (was ordered wrong for another customer). It took them 2 hours to do the job.
I hope this helps.