General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low moaning noise (electrical motor?) coming from behind dash when I start car

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 08:12 AM
Default Low moaning noise (electrical motor?) coming from behind dash when I start car

Hello,

Whenever I start my car I notice a low moaning noise as in some electrical motor that comes from behind the dash. Sometimes the noise is loader on some days then others. This noise lasts about 10-15 seconds or so, then it stops and I hear a single click also from behind the dash and finally the ABS light comes on and stays on. There is no CEL.

Thanks for your help

Old 12-17-2009, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

You are probably hearing the abs motor pressurizing. The ABS light means the ABS control unit detected a code. Getting the code is the same procedure as getting a check engine code, except that you count the abs light flashes. Also the codes have two parts, a main code and a sub code, so a 1-4 would be a code.

EDIT: Your 97 accord still has a service connector that you can short. It is a blue 2-pin connector that is mounted below the glove box near the hinges. See: http://www.dhost.info/accordinfo/howto/cel.html That site is down right now, so keep checking back.

Last edited by PAhonda; 12-17-2009 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:25 PM

Hello,

Thanks for the info dude.

My car is a little different from the photos from the website link. My 1997 Accord does not have the Blue connector with 2 smaller plugs as shown in the link though it does have the orange plug with one end plugged and the other free. The orange plug has a label wrapped around the cable saying ABS.

There is a blue connector with 2 wires but it was dangling free. I did as the link mentioned and inserted a paper clip into the socket and turned the key to the number II position.

The light that lit up on the dash was the SRS light and not the CEL. It gave me 8 long blinks and 5 short blinks. I could not find this error code in those provided in the link.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:38 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

your car should have the blue connector located under the glove box........should be 2 blue connectors 1 with 2 wires and 1 with 3 wires,,you jump the 1 with 2 wires ,, turn key on and read the code ,,,

DO NOT jump the orange connector ,,,

also chk to make sure that ABS reservoir is full of fluid..

Old 12-19-2009, 01:49 PM

Hi,

My car does not have 2 blue connectors plugged into another connector as shown in the link under the glove box. Unless the connector shown in the link was moved by the previous owner and left that one blue cable loose there is only one blue connector with 2 wires that was loose and free. No I did not plug a paper clip into the orange connector. I plugged it into the blue connector.

Please advise.

Thank you

Attached Thumbnails Low moaning noise (electrical motor?) coming from behind dash when I start car-cable-3.jpg   Low moaning noise (electrical motor?) coming from behind dash when I start car-cable-2.jpg  
Old 12-19-2009, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

That is the correct connector.

There is only one connector in the 96/97 accords. The other one was changed to an obd2 connection and is behind the ash tray.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:34 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bjr001
Hi,

My car does not have 2 blue connectors plugged into another connector as shown in the link under the glove box. Unless the connector shown in the link was moved by the previous owner and left that one blue cable loose there is only one blue connector with 2 wires that was loose and free.
That's the proper connector. The socket it was supposed to be 'plugged into' isn't really a connector at all. It's just a rubber holder with no electrical connections.