General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lower ball joint replacement inquiries

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 06:30 PM
Default lower ball joint replacement inquiries

I don't have access to a pair of snap ring pliers (without having to resort to buy the tool) to remove the snap ring from the lower ball joint on the control arm of my 92 Accord. Is there any other method that might work to get the snap ring off?
Also, to remove the old ball joint does it work to just take the boot off and put a big socket around the stud side of the ball joint and just pound/knock it through the control arm hole (in the case where I don't have any other special tool to accomplish that)? And if so, what size socket (so I could know whether I have that size).
Any advice/comments appreciated. Here's pictures of the top and bottom of the ball joint.

Attached Thumbnails lower ball joint replacement inquiries-lbj1_zpsc8358a5a.jpg   lower ball joint replacement inquiries-img_2417_zps7e37dc94.jpg  

Last edited by sgull; 08-22-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:19 PM

Update: I managed to get the snap ring off with needle nose pliers. Doesn't look to healthy inside there, the grease is all dried up and dirty looking.

Attached Thumbnails lower ball joint replacement inquiries-img_2420_zps2d2defb1.jpg  
Old 08-22-2013, 07:54 PM

So I wonder if I was to put the steering knuckle in a vice, and take about a 30 mm size socket (as shown in picture in post #6 here) and place it on this end of the ball joint, and pound down hard with a heavy hammer that I could get it out that way? Or are they so stuck in there tight sometimes that even this doesn't work? How about the idea of drilling it out? Or some other method? thanks

Last edited by sgull; 08-23-2013 at 10:32 AM. Reason: mention location of photo (forgot to post)
Old 08-22-2013, 08:32 PM

I discovered this kit
Amazon.com: Alltrade 648617 Kit #46 Master Ball Joint / U-Joint Service Tool Set - 23 Piece: Home Improvement Amazon.com: Alltrade 648617 Kit #46 Master Ball Joint / U-Joint Service Tool Set - 23 Piece: Home Improvement
might be available to be loaned out from my local Car Quest store. Looks like the way to go I think. Also should work good to put the new one in.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by sgull
So I wonder if I was to put the steering knuckle in a vice, and take about a 30 mm size socket (as shown in this picture) and place it on this end of the ball joint, and pound down hard with a heavy hammer that I could get it out that way? Or are they so stuck in there tight sometimes that even this doesn't work? How about the idea of drilling it out? Or some other method? thanks
Take note that in the normal up/down orientation of the knuckle, the ball joint is pressed or pounded UPward. The snap ring prevents the ball joint from moving UPward. Now that the snap ring has been removed, you can simply pound the joint UPward (toward the axle shaft splined hole in your photo).

Yes, a heavy hammer really helps get that ball joint out of there.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Tony1M
Now that the snap ring has been removed, you can simply pound the joint UPward
Sorry in my earlier post here (post #3) I was referring/mentioning this photo but forgot to post it there.

So does it look as if I was to pound on that socket (or probably a longer one) with a heavy hammer that the pressed-in ball joint should come out? Or hard to say because sometimes or often they're too stuck in there? You did say "simply" but is it likely I might have to pound the crap out of it and it still won't budge?

Attached Thumbnails lower ball joint replacement inquiries-img_2421_zps37f7d05a.jpg  
Old 08-23-2013, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

You've got the right idea, but you probably will need a big ...um..FAT hammer.

Once it begins moving, then look for a slightly smaller socket that will fit through the hole to finish pushing it out.

PB Blaster and/or some heat on the knuckle??

Old 08-23-2013, 12:43 PM

Try to use impact sockets, if you've got them. They're more able to take the abuse.

Alternatively, just use an appropriately sized piece of iron pipe.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
You've got the right idea, but you probably will need a big ...um..FAT hammer. Once it begins moving, then look for a slightly smaller socket that will fit through the hole to finish pushing it out. PB Blaster and/or some heat on the knuckle??
Recipe for success:
big FAT hammer
big hammer
PB blaster
1" socket
15/16" socket

Thanks JimBlake

Attached Thumbnails lower ball joint replacement inquiries-img_2425_zpscb0a46a8.jpg