General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering the chance of breaking the timing belt...

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 10:23 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Default Lowering the chance of breaking the timing belt...

I'm probably going to get the belt changed on this car, it's got at least 127,000 miles on it and the previous owner has never changed the timing belt or water pump.

I figured I would have both done at the same time by a family friend. He quoted me roughly $400.00 for both together which appears to be a good estimate on the lower end compared to other sources. I think I may ask if it's possible for him to flush out the coolant while the pump is being changed anyway because the previous owner put a "low silicate" coolant in and that might have wore the seals on the pump.

But anyway, this thing is scaring me. I feel like the next time I turn it on the belt is going to snap or slip on me. I'm freaking out. I'm worried that oil might have leaked through the valve cover gasket and ended up inside of the timing cover and all over the timing belt, weakening it.

The drive to the mechanic is far away, at least five miles. Is there any way I can lower the possibility of breaking the belt on the way there? Should I keep my speed low, that sort of thing.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:32 PM
Newest Of Newbies

In my opinion, the only thing that puts force on the belt is the engine itself. Lower torque requirements may reduce force on the belt. But really, it is impossible to predict the belt life. You are due for a new one, but then, I know of some engines that have had 200k on the original belt. So nothing says yours is doomed, and I do not think I would completely freak out about it, but yeah, for your own piece of mind at least, get it changed.

If it lets you sleep easier, have it towed there. Five miles should not cost you that much. Me, I'd drive it there and not think twice about it.