General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Maintenance Minder Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
My daughters have Civics, and the maintenance minder has been good as far as oil life goes. I use Castrol GTX and have had the used oil analyzed a couple times. The lab said that I could have gone somewhat longer.

If you really want to change your oil every 3500, I think you're wasting money doing it too often. But it's your money, not mine, so I won't stop you. It certainly doesn't HURT to change it too often. (Might hurt the environment, but doesn't hurt the car.)Winstonchan1977@msn.com

Normally, you can't reset your maintenance minder until it gets down to 15% and the warning lamp comes on. When that happens, it shows a letter and some combination of numbers. Say "A-1-2" or something like that. The letter is the oil change, and the number(s) are the other maintenance items. Look in your maintenance booklet for all the things that go along with #1, #2, #3, etc. Even if you ignore the oil timing, you can still use the maintenance monitor to schedule the other stuff.

Did you miss anything? I don't know. Each time the maintenance-minder came on, did you make note of the number(s) that show up? If so, then you can check the maintenance list to see whether you missed anything. I don't own an Accord right now, and the maint.list for a Civic probably isn't exactly the same.

AT fluid - was it dirty? You really want to drain/fill that fluid before it gets dirty. That is one fluid that I'd be happy to replace more often than the schedule calls for.

Brake fluid - was it dark/muddy? Probably 3 years is an OK interval. That stuff absorbs moisture from the air & that makes it get a bit corrosive.

Power steering - you probably replaced that a bit early, but no worries.

Engine air filter - Probably too early, but if you drive in dusty area maybe it was needed. That schedule is a bit strange, because the maintenance-minder can't tell whether the filter is real dirty or not. But it's easy to open up & look for yourself. When that filter gets dirty, you can see that it's dirty. Did you change the 42k airfilter yourself? Was it dirty?
06 up civics if u change the oil at 3000 miles engine oil is still clean. Only civics. They have an enhanced Pcv system. I'd follow the 15% oil change.