General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

make cigarette lighter power on when car is shut off

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 05:01 PM
Default make cigarette lighter power on when car is shut off

I would like to make my cigarette lighter stay on even when the car is not running.
I want it to be able to recharge my cell phone and other devices while I am in the store or at work.

How would I accomplish this?

Is there a risk/danger to doing this?

I use my cell phone as a GPS and to receive input from my work via an app, texting, and talking.

The app sucks up more battery than anything but the screen.
I get about 2 hours before it will go dead with the app and Google Maps running. I keep it plugged in when I am working, with a 2.1 amp charger and a larger wire for my USB cord so it will carry the charge.

Anyway, is it OK to make the cigarette lighter work even when the ignition is off and is it safe?

Charging a cell phone would not drain my car batter would it? My 2005 Accord does not have a full size batter anyway. It seems small to me, but it is what the car came with. I am assuming it is the right batter.

Last edited by Schleprock; 12-09-2017 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

The biggest risk is draining the battery. You must have a fuse in the system, or the biggest risk would be burning the wiring and/or vehicle.

You may have an unused fuse spot in the under-dash fuse box that has constant power. You would have to test using a volt meter.

If not, I'd use an inline fuse and run new wires to the cigarette lighter. I go over-the-top with this kind of stuff, so I would keep the factory wiring to the lighter with plastic connector intact. You would need large enough gauge wire, so you don't cook the wires. You would also need the plastic connector to the lighter that I would get from junkyard. Keeping the factory wiring intact also would allow you to switch back to the original setup easily.