General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Map lights don't work, bulbs and fuse good

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2023, 01:56 PM
Default Map lights don't work, bulbs and fuse good

2011 V6 Accord, map lights both don't work.
1. Checked fuse (passenger foot well, 7.5A fuse: Good.
2. Checked bulbs - good.
3. No 12V across bulb contacts.
4, Door/On/Off switch in 'On' position (after turning it on/off several times to 'clean' contacts.

Are there any known failures like this that are not related to blub, fuse or switch? I'm stumped, ready to start looking for bad connections.

Joe
Fairfax, VA

Last edited by joe149; 09-24-2023 at 02:34 PM.
Old 09-24-2023, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

Since you have no voltage across the bulb contacts, you need to figure out if you are missing power or ground.

Hook the negative lead of your test light to a good ground (any bare metal bolt will work). Touch the red positive lead to one pin at a time in the bulb socket. When the light should be on, one of the pins should have 12V. You can switch your meter to ohms or continuity, and use the same setup to see if one of the pins has ~0 resistance (continuity) to ground. Let us know if you are missing power or ground to the bulb.

Old 09-24-2023, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Since you have no voltage across the bulb contacts, you need to figure out if you are missing power or ground.

Hook the negative lead of your test light to a good ground (any bare metal bolt will work). Touch the red positive lead to one pin at a time in the bulb socket. When the light should be on, one of the pins should have 12V. You can switch your meter to ohms or continuity, and use the same setup to see if one of the pins has ~0 resistance (continuity) to ground. Let us know if you are missing power or ground to the bulb.
Excellent suggestion - will do that tomorrow and report back.
best,
Joe

Old 09-29-2023, 04:14 PM

Ok - so it appears that there is always 12v on the rear-most lamp connector. Trying to check for ground on the front one is difficult - hard to find a good ground in the all-plastic interior! I used both a bolt in the door frame and also the ignitiion switch, which seemed both to be ground.

No ground on front lamp connector, regardless of switch positions.

Do the switches connect ground to that front connector - so the rear one is always hot?

Next suggestion appreciated!
Joe

Old 09-29-2023, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

I'm working off of a 2010 4-cylinder diagram, but the wiring should be similar. It looks like the map lights have constant 12V and the switch connects it to ground. So the wiring setup is slightly different when you have a moonroof or none.

I think you are to the point that the white switches that click when you push the map light are bad. My 05 TSX uses the same part. I had to replace these on my TSX years ago and they worked properly ever since. Honda doesn't sell the individual switch and you'd have to buy the whole map light. I bought the Dorman brand on Amazon. Very easy a cheap fix. There are some youtube videos on how to do this. Looks like Amazon has some other brands as well, but I'll guess they are all made by the same manufacturer.

If you want to be 100% sure, then I'd have a few more questions for further testing, but in this case it is probably worth the ~$16 for the white switches.