General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Marvel Mystery Oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 02:08 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Default Marvel Mystery Oil

Anyone out there use it in their engine? Been hearing about the benefits of adding it to your oil and how it supposedly quiets your engine and can clean it out. Anyone familiar with using it that can comment good, bad? How much should be added to crank case? Personal experiences would be appreciated.

Old 08-17-2016, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

MMO = l'huile de serpent

Said another way, save your money and don't pollute either the gasoline or the oil in your car.

Old 08-20-2016, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

We all have our "snake oil" stories.....kind of a debate type of thing.....please don't even bring up oil brands or weights.

My snake oil that lets me sleep better at night is Seafoam. I use it in the gas for the small engines, add a bit to the gas can before filling it up. Every now and then I try to remember to add it to the gas tanks of my fleet. The ones that don't move much always get it when they get filled.....for those, they might not see the gas station for a year or more .

My opinion, if it makes you feel/sleep better use what you want.....just follow the directions on the can.

Old 08-22-2016, 05:55 AM
Almost A Senior Member

ok guess I'm not going to bother with the Mystery oil at this time. No issues with the car so why introduce something I show no signs of needing. I do also put seafoam in all my small engine gasoline never have in the car though but I do not own any vehicles that hold onto a tank of gas for months either.

Old 08-09-2018, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
We all have our "snake oil" stories.....kind of a debate type of thing.....please don't even bring up oil brands or weights.

My snake oil that lets me sleep better at night is Seafoam. I use it in the gas for the small engines, add a bit to the gas can before filling it up. Every now and then I try to remember to add it to the gas tanks of my fleet. The ones that don't move much always get it when they get filled.....for those, they might not see the gas station for a year or more .

My opinion, if it makes you feel/sleep better use what you want.....just follow the directions on the can.
I personally have mixed feelings about Seafoam, sure it can clean your fuel systems but my worry is that say it cleans your fuel injectors, were do all those particulates go? They still are in your fuel systems just floating around now.

Old 08-09-2018, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

Highly unlikely Seafoam would do anything to clean fuel injectors. Why? As a general rule, unless you've been consistently running bad gas (hard to get in this day and age), there won't be anything to clean. For the sake of argument, let's say injectors are in need of cleaning, and furthermore, lets say Seafoam is capable of cleaning them, then the "dirt" will simply be flushed into the cylinder and burned in the next combustion cycle; it wouldn't be possible for the dirt to go upstream into the fuel system and "float around".