General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Master or slave

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 11:28 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Master or slave

Accord 2007 CDTi Had issues with sticky clutch, so decided change master cylinder. But couldn't bleed it no matter what. Finally bought a vacuum bleeder. Still no movement of fluid. Conceded possibly I bought a faulty CMC. Removed it again. Ok, I thought let's try this bleeder with no master at all. Vacuum tool to slave nipple, nothing moved. Is it possible the slave has a blockage? Nipple tested and is clear!!! What possible other explanation?

Last edited by sambrown100; 09-22-2017 at 11:34 AM.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

Did you completely remove the bleeder on the slave and clean out the hole?

Pull back the boot of the slave to see if there is fluid in there.

Old 09-22-2017, 02:47 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Boot?

Originally Posted by sambrown100
Accord 2007 CDTi Had issues with sticky clutch, so decided change master cylinder. But couldn't bleed it no matter what. Finally bought a vacuum bleeder. Still no movement of fluid. Conceded possibly I bought a faulty CMC. Removed it again. Ok, I thought let's try this bleeder with no master at all. Vacuum tool to slave nipple, nothing moved. Is it possible the slave has a blockage? Nipple tested and is clear!!! What possible other explanation?
Originally Posted by PAhonda
Did you completely remove the bleeder on the slave and clean out the hole?

Pull back the boot of the slave to see if there is fluid in there.
there is a proper brake line between master and slave, no boot as far as I'm aware. However I did completely remove the nipple to check the hole was clear. Furthermore, I disconnected the pipeline into the slave at both ends! (The master end included) Still unable to extract fluid or air out of the slave via the nipple. I thought something would have been drawn through but my vacuum retained its vacuum. I'm guessing some kind of catastrophic breakdown within the slave.

Old 09-22-2017, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

The rubber boot is on the slave cylinder where it pushes the transmission clutch fork.

When you disconnected the brake line from the master cylinder or the slave, did fluid come out?

Old 09-24-2017, 09:47 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Focus on slave

So having removed the Master completely I attached the vacuum to the bleed on the slave. No fluid no air drawn. Attached the vacuum to the master end of the pipeline to draw back up from the slave. The vacuum remained, even with nipple removed. So I disconnected the pipeline from the slave to check the pipe was clear. Drew air and some fluid. So It seems to me the slave is blocked! Nothing will pass through it. I should add the remaining brake fluid was heavily contaminated with what appear to be metal particles. Interesting?
No excess wetness around the boot. Im in Ireland so wet boots is normal lol. Ive ordered a new slave already. Wish me luck

Last edited by sambrown100; 09-24-2017 at 07:27 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:14 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default !

Finally I installed a new master and slave. I got it bled eventually and I'm mobile again.
My advice to anyone tackling this job.

1 First change your Dot 3 fluid You will need a vacuum pump
I cannot stress this part enough. Until you do this don't bother to go on.
2 Be prepared to change both Master and Slave, oddly the slave was more
expensive
3 Get a man to do the job. The slave was easy enough but the master was
ridiculous because of one nut
4 Reread my 1st instruction. The vacuum pump was about £15 on ebay and
was vital. It took a very strong vacuum to draw the fluid.
5 Good luck. As always if you had to do the job again it would be easy