General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Misfire Cylinder 1

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 07:50 PM
Default Misfire Cylinder 1

So it begins.

Cylinder 1 misfire.

This is the wifes car. I Replaced rotor cap plugs and wires. Timing belts / accessory belts water pump and valve adjustments was done 5k miles ago. Checked compression 140 accross the board rechecked valve clearances the were all good. leak down tested all cylinders all at 10% give or take 2 or 3 %. Replaced Injector. verified injector was good by moving to cylinder 2.

Currently the cylinder head is off and im cleaning it up tonight... bolts will be in at the local honda dealer tomorrow. I dont think cleaning the head will fix it but cylinder 1 was a little dirtier than the others. I have also cleaned out the whole egr system including the intake runners. I was reading somewhere someone had a similar problem and it ended up being positive short to ground on injector on cylinder number 4.

We have had me my brother and about 5 to 7 auto technicains look at this and we all just scratch our heads. Im thinking its a electrical issue. as we noid light tested the injector results seems good. timing it dead on to.

any ideas would help! and so would a wiring diagram of the harness so i can do some testing.

Thanks guys!

p.s. 110k miles

Old 03-09-2012, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

Clogged EGR ports can cause the car to misfire. Cleaning out the port from the throttle body down to the EGR valve may fix your problem.

So you removed the cylinder head, or did you remove the intake manifold? Or just the valve cover? Removing the cylinder head would require taking off the timing belt, etc...

What error code did you get?

Old 03-09-2012, 08:24 PM

it was p---1 forget what it was up to that but it was the code for cylinder 1 misfire. I have cleaned the eger up to and through the intake and cylinder head. I took off the cylinder head to make sure there was no other ports and such. The egr runner only goes into cylinder 4 on this engine. Tomorrow im putting the head back on and hoping that some how some way it fixes it. But im sure that because it didnt see anything obviously out of whack that it wont fix it.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:47 AM
Super Moderator

If you pulled the cylinder head, you should probably get the head milled, so it is perfectly flat. Then you will ensure that the head will seal to the engine block using the head gasket.