General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Moonroof operates even though fuse has been removed

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 03:00 PM
Default Moonroof operates even though fuse has been removed

I had a moonroof installed into my 98 Accord LX V6 coupe when I bought it new.

A few years ago something in the moonroof broke; it would move but the tracks were misaligned so it would get stuck in odd positions. A particular issue was that when the car was turned off the moonroof would attempt to close itself, but it would just get stuck half open.

I decided not to get it fixed. To prevent the roof from moving when the car was turned off I disabled the power to the moonroof by removing the fuse.

My recollection is that once I got the roof panel into the closed position I removed fuse #1 on the passenger side fuse box. That stopped it from moving no matter if the roof button was pushed or if the car was turned off.

Today I needed to get the car jump-started. The battery tested as bad, so I had it replaced. Now, to my amazement, the moonroof operates (albeit still incorrectly).

Fuse #1 on the passenger side (labeled "moonroof") is still missing.

I am mystified as to why the moonroof would now be powered. The dashboard button will now make it move, as will shutting off the car (unless I catch it in time and hold that dashboard button).

Nothing else seems amiss (but I may not know what to look for).

What might now be powering the roof?

Old 11-12-2015, 08:46 AM

The only thing I can think of... is someone tinkered with the wires... and by passed the Fuse #1

Old 11-12-2015, 09:18 AM

Thanks for the reply

Originally Posted by rockhoundrob
The only thing I can think of... is someone tinkered with the wires... and by passed the Fuse #1
That crossed my mind, but this wasn't happening before I needed the jump start.

No one spent much time with the car yesterday, and I don't see how changing a battery would end up messing with the wires for the moonroof that it bypasses a fusebox. (But then again I have limited car knowledge.)

I'm wondering if something might have gotten shorted by the jump-start. It's just so odd that things otherwise seem fine.

I tried removing the fuses for the passenger power window, and that correctly disabled them. So it's not the entire fuse box that's by-passed.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Did you remove fuse #1 (30A) from passenger under dash fuse box? Possible misinterpretation of fuse position?

Looking a circuit diagram there is little possibility of power to the motor if correct fuse #1 was removed.

One possibility is corrosion inside power window relays (2) allowing relay control side power side to cross over to load side. Unlikely IMO.

An external short to another power source in wiring is also possible which seems most likely.

good luck

Old 11-12-2015, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Did you remove fuse #1 (30A) from passenger under dash fuse box? Possible misinterpretation of fuse position?
Yes, that's the one.

Looking a circuit diagram there is little possibility of power to the motor if correct fuse #1 was removed.

One possibility is corrosion inside power window relays (2) allowing relay control side power side to cross over to load side. Unlikely IMO.

An external short to another power source in wiring is also possible which seems most likely.

I'm wondering if the #1 fuse slot, having no fuse there, could have shorted and closed up when the car was jump-started. I may get a new fuse, blow it, and see if placing it in there breaks the circuit.

good luck

Thanks!

Old 11-14-2015, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by James Britt
I had a moonroof installed into my 98 Accord LX V6 coupe when I bought it new.
If this was an add on, there is no way of really knowing how it was wired in. We can look at factory wire diagrams but that does not mean the "aftermarket" install followed those.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by poorman212
We can look at factory wire diagrams but that does not mean the "aftermarket" install followed those.
Yeah...no telling if they did a hair-brained wire job, and the issue could be hiding somewhere completely different from where it should be if it was a factory install.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:56 AM

I stopped by my local repair shop, spoke with a few people. Nothing rang a bell with anyone. They were pretty upfront with what they could do: charge by the hour to check through the electrical, with no assurance that anything would be found.

In poking around the car on my own I came across a sticker with the name and number of the company that did the moonroof. Amazingly they are still in business, so the next step is to contact them.