General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

My baby won't start, please help

Old 07-14-2006, 11:16 AM
NuTech
Unregistered
Default My baby won't start, please help

I have a Honda Accord 91 and problem occured couple weeks ago. First I thought the battery was dead and got it replaced then a few days later; I replaced the alternator belts. Driven very well for a few days. And now it won't start again :-(. When I turn ignition key, sounds normal but it's barely start up the enginee. I'm illerterate about car so I ask you guys to find out what's going on before bring it to the shop. I don't think the starter has problem because I don't hear the crankie sound

P.S. The engine starts if I use jumper cable

Old 07-15-2006, 12:45 PM
Default RE: My baby won't start, please help

We are going to need more information. What sounds does it make when you try to start it? Once it does start how does it run (detail)? Are the lights dim? You said alternator belts, did you replace the alternator and belts? If the engine won't turn over it is going to be a starting, charging, or igniton system issue; starter, battery, alternator, or ignition. Since you said it turns over, just very slowly that would point to a battery or alternator. What happens when you get the vehicle jumped? These year Accords have a tendency for bad distributors.

Old 07-15-2006, 02:00 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: NuTech

P.S. The engine starts if I use jumper cable
If it starts normally when you use jumper cables you got an issue with the battery, cables ( corroded, loose ) ,alternator not charging the battery , have the battery and charge system tested properly. Also have a shop test the system for battery drain.....If there is an electrical drain , it will discharge the battery thus it won't have enough power to start the car

Old 07-25-2006, 03:24 PM

This problem had happened to me, it looks like you need to change the alternator, the problem was the alternator doensn't charge your battery while you're driving.

Old 07-25-2006, 07:21 PM

like desert said just take it down to a local auto store and have them test the battery and the charging system (it's free and only takes a few minutes) if it's an alternator you can do that yourself with a cheap basic wrench set. I picked up a 120 piece craftsman set at the pawn shop for $25.00 and that will be more than enough tools for you to fix the car without paying a mechanic. We'll walk you through it

Old 08-15-2006, 09:03 PM

If is doing this when the car is hot (like hot by the Sun, not engine hot), is the Fuel Control Relay. Also, my alternator was not charging correctly in low RPM without any indication lights inside when I had to replaced it. Anyway, if need help replacing the relay, contact me at franciscoperez@adelphia.net