General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

my car will not start please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 11:20 AM
hgroth
Unregistered
Default my car will not start please help!!!

I own a 93 Accord 2.0 LS and frequently, I can't start the car . When it is running, it has no problems but after I turn it off, more and more often, the car will not start
again. It won't matter wheter the engine is hot or cold. I removed a spark plug and found there is no spark when the problem occurs. After waiting between 30 minutes and up to several hours, it will start just fine. Can someone please help?

Old 11-22-2008, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: my car will not start please help!!!

This is a frequent problem. In all cases, first step is to determine whether loss of fuel or spark is indicated.

I have seen others mistakenly pursue a fuel solution or spark solution to find out they had misdiagnosed initially. I would suggesta definitive spark or fuel check by attempting to start (when no-start is present) w/ throttle body cleaner sprayed into intake. If no brief attempt to start, then spark problem is confirmed. If it attempts to start, then fuel delivery; main fuel relay, fuel pump, fuel filter, etc is the problem.

I suggest this because it is somewhat unusual to have an intermittent no-start due to loss of spark. Usually, once loss of spark happens it won't start until repaired. But it is certainly possible (intermittent coil internal short would be a likely reason).

A more definitive no-spark check is to use a timing light on a spark plug lead. If timing light flashes, the spark plug is generating a spark under compression.

good luck

good luck

Old 11-22-2008, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: my car will not start please help!!!

Hmmmmm No spark when the problem occurs...Hmmmmmm
To diagnose this problem further, have a test light handyand back stab the Black/yellow wire at the distributor connector with the key on.
This will tell you if the ignition switch is putting thru power.
Be sure the ground at the T-stat housing is clean and tight.
Intermittant problems have to first be 'caught in the act' and secondly you need to trouble shoot one step at a time.