General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car does not start, Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 06:02 AM
Default Car does not start, Please Help

Hi All,
I am a newbie about car and asking your kind help about the problem i am encountering.
Last week i bought a Honda Accord 1995 model EXI
the seller did not give me any original key for the car. he gave me a duplicate key instead. i did not even know the dashboard signs and their meanings. when i put the key in the key hole, one first turn all the light goes on and after couple of second signs go off and the car is starting. when i turned off the start and try to start the car again, the engine warning light (OBD) stays on and does not turn off and after couple of seconds the D4 started flashing even though P light was on. i had to wait 2/3 mins turning off everything, and the OBD light turned off as before and engine started. i went to the mechanic today, he checked the car with some sort of handheld computerized equipment, and said nothing wrong in engine or transmission. the problem might be on immobilizer because i do not have original key.the key comes out from the keyhole even though the engine is running. now the car is not starting at all. the mechanic said he will try to deactivate the immobilizer system and car will start. i do not know anything about car working system and totally confused.
Please help me to sort this out, as this is my first car and loved the car, although it is old. what could be the problem. any advise would be appreciated.

regards

Old 12-27-2011, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

The 95's dot not have the "chip" in the key, so we can rule that out. Also the 95 should still be OBDI - I think some had the OBDII connector ???- so to get the codes there is a service connector on the pass side - glove box area - that you insert a paperclip or piece of wire to get the codes.

Based upon your description, I would start with cleaning/checking the ground connections. Then move to testing the main relay (CEL or OBD light not going off after ~3 seconds).
Then check the key switch.

Hope this helps you or him, let us know what you find.

Old 12-27-2011, 04:51 PM

Thanks for your advise.
some more information for you.
i have seen the mechanic is connecting the service code device and initializing everything. all the system comes out and when he enters it it shows ' No error code' but when tried to connect ECU the message appears ' Error connecting ECU'

the OBD type i check on net is OBD-I. i am not sure he is doing right thing or even established successful communication into OBD
Please help

Old 12-27-2011, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

Where is this "connection" going on? Sorry, on a 95, to get the codes is a simple paperclip/wire into a two wire blue connector under the glovebox?...

Old 12-31-2011, 02:36 AM

Thanks for your reply and sorry for late communication.
mechanic could not locate the fault. instead he replaced 'dissi' coil which cost me a lot. i have shorted the connector and got following codes. i could not interpret the code. please help.

ECU light is constantly on.
D4 blinks like below
1 - Long
4 - Short
1 - Short
3 - Short
4 - Short
7 - Short

then again 1 long one the rest

please interpret the code for me. will be ever grateful

regards

Old 12-31-2011, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

Were these from the CEL or the D4 or ABS......or a combination.

A few things, are you getting spark at the plugs? Are you getting fuel?

If the car will start and run once the CEL goes out (key to on, 3 seconds then it goes off, then to start and it runs)....kind of sounds like it could be a main relay but some of the codes lead me towards to CYP inside the dist.

Old 12-31-2011, 09:13 AM

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, car is getting fuel, spark is ok. all the codes comes from D4, when CEL is constantly on.

regards

Old 12-31-2011, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

Well, I think we need to double check the fuel and spark.....IF they are good then the only thing left is timing- the belt broke...air is a given. Engines are pretty simple, air-fuel-spark at about the right time, about the right ratios and a little compression and it will run.

Confirm fuel to the rail and then confirm injector pulses.

Confirm that there is blue spark at the plugs.

not sure on the first one, how long was the pause between the Long =10 and the four short =1, because that could be a code 10 or a 14? I'm going to go with 14 as there is a four short listed. Further down.

14-Linear (line pressure control) solenoid open or shorted.
1-Lock-up solenoid 'A' circuit open or shorted.
3-Throttle Position Sensor circuit open or shorted.
4-Vehicle Speed Sensor open or shorted - No signal from speedometer.
7-Shift Solenoid 'A' circuit open or shorted.

Now the strange thing is that I would think the ecu would have also picked up on a few of these (TPS, VSS). So now that brings it into play.

Old 12-31-2011, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

Code 14 on the TCU points towards an ECU problem.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:39 AM

Thanks guys for your help

car is starting now after changing the coil inside Dizzi. but the previous problem stays same. when it runs a bit problem of automatic gear change. it shakes or bounces a bit when changes the gear. but when engine turned off, remove the key, put back the key, turin it to II, ECU comes on but does not disappear after two seconds. after a while D4 starts blinking forever. engine will never start at this point. switch off, take out the key, wait for 2/3 minute, then try again. this time ECU goes off and engine starts.

another issue is, some wires are not connected under the driver side dash board. so when i put the key, position I turns on all the light. so I and II has same function in this car.

Another issue is, when ignition at position I or II, there is a pumping sound goes through engine, follows through back of the car.

any advise will be appreciated.

regards