General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

My car won't start...

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 06:05 PM
kim
Unregistered
Default My car won't start...

I have a 92 accord lx, 2 door, auto. I've replaced plugs, wires, valve cover gasket and fuel filter. My car just won't start. When you try to start it, it fires once or twice and then just cranks on the starter for 1 or 2 cycles then tries to fire again. The starter, battery, alternator, and distributor were all replaced just before I bought the car 3 months ago. But when the previous owner had the car, it had the same problem.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: My car won't start...

When a car doesn't start, it is due to lack of spark, fuel, or compression.

Is the fuel pump turning on? When you first turn the key to the II postion, you should hear a several clicks. After those you should hear the fuel pump turn on for a couple of seconds. It is a faint whirlling or buzzing sound coming from the trunk area. You might have to have someone else turn the key to the II position and listen at the gas tank.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

This sounds like a loss of igntion, when the dist. was replaced did they change the coil and ignitor as well?
There is a quick test for coil and ignitor using a test light, it is posted in the DIY forum by Desert Honda
You could also use a test lightat the Black/yellow wire of the dist plug to be sure the igntion switch is putting thru power.
The ground wire at the T-stat housing needs to be clean and tight.
Do you know if the Timing Belt has been replaced and that it hasn't stripped teeth or jumped time?

Old 05-29-2008, 08:00 PM
hanayaro
Unregistered

I've had the same problem. Look for a loose connection on your starter. If it's not that, then possibly you have a defective ignition switch.

It is also posible that you have a short in your electrical system, though a short would more than likely blow a fuse. Sometimes it won't if it is small enough, but as a general rule it will.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I'm w/ PAHonda. When no start occurs, best practice is to start w/ determination of what's missing, fuel or spark. Lack of compression is unlikely in a car that has been running. If all below are positive, then check compression.

If fuel pump test is OK, check for a start using throttle body cleaner or starter fluid sprayed into the throttle body (duct removed). If you get a short start, then spark is OK, and fuel delivery is somehow compromised (fuel filter, fuel injector, fuel pressure regulator). If no start, then spark problem is indicated. It could be coil or ignitor. See DIY section for guidance.

good luck