General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator Fan

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 09:30 PM
mw011i
Unregistered
Default Radiator Fan

I have a 94 accord EX 4-cyl vtec, and noticed the other day that the car was running a little hot (reaching mid-point on temp gauge, when below the mid-line is normal). Tonight, same thing happened, and when I arrived at home, I opened the hood and could hear the fan motor running but the blades weren't spinning. This would be the passenger side of the two fans that are on the radiator. So, I grabbed a stick and poked the fan blade and it looks like the whole fan was off-kilter so to speak, but I could clearly hear the motor running.

Could this be as simple as replacing a screw after readjusting the fan, or am I looking at replacing the whole fan assembly? Is this a simple repair, or should I take it in? And finally, what do you guys think it might cost for a new fan assembly (if needed)?

Thanks for reading, and I appreciate any advice!

P.S. The other fan (driver's side) works fine. I replaced the fan relay on that beauty last summer. When I turn the ignition on, but don't start the car, this secondary fan works normally.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: Radiator Fan

It's very likely the fan motor or fan assy must be replaced. The fan is held to the motor w/ a nut and lock washer, but in all liklihood, the shaft or shaft receiver in fan has been rounded and will no longer engage correctly.

You can buy replacement motors, but they require a little work to splice your old electrical connector to the new motor. Motors and entire fan assys are readily available on ebay at good prices.

Pretty easy DIY. Check DIY section for tips, or download 94-97 Accord Manual from the Online Manuals DIY link.

good luck

Old 05-30-2008, 09:32 AM
Default RE: Radiator Fan

It's not a very difficult DIY to replace the fan motor, which is what I bet your problem is. I did it on my 95 about a year ago. You do have to cut & splice wires, but that is really not hard. All you do is twist them together and electrical tape them. Make sure you remove the old fan motor first before buying a new one though. There are 2 different OEM motors, and they are NOT the same size. You need to take your old motor with you to the parts store to make sure you get the right replacement one.
The procedure is outlined pretty well in my Haynes manual. However I think you can download a free shop manual for your generation accord in the DIY section. That will be a heck of a lot better than my Haynes i used.