General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

My cooling problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 01:11 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default My cooling problem

Yes I have searched and there are a ton of topics about this but I would like to start my own thread anyway.

I have also checked the manual but the one I downloaded only goes into the thermostat and not the cooling fans.

A little history

Car has a New Radiator and Thermostat.

Since I got the car the DS fan always ran for a few mins after I turned the car off.
I thought it was normal until I recently read a thread here about how it was only supposed to run if the car was hot when it was turned off.

The car does not nor has ever ran hot.

I thought I would address the fan problem once my 5 speed swap was complete.

So once it was complete the DS fan would not turn off. Key on or off the fan ran, so I unplugged it.

So I just started looking for what is going on. I found that the PS fan will not turn on no matter how hot the car gets.

I jumped the connector at the lower radiator hose connection to the intake and neither fan came on. I plugged back in the DS fan and it does not come on now at all.

What say you?

Old 03-02-2012, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Most likely bad PS fan relay or bad fan motor. Check voltage is getting to the fan. If no voltage, then relay is likely. If voltage, then bad fan motor.

You may have a shorted thermoswitch A (near upper radiator hose fitting on engine). It should be open unless the car is overheated, or heat soak from a hard drive causes coolant to become hot (225F?). This should cause Thermoswitch A to close and DS fan to run.

good luck

Old 03-02-2012, 02:46 PM

I would say the motors are fine as they were both working prior to the motor / trans removal.

I am going to swap the fan relay for another and jump the T-stat connector here shortly when it stops raining.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:10 PM

Problem is fixed.

User Error

I did not have the PS fan plugged in.

Plugged it in and plugged back in the DS fan.

Both are working correct now, idled car for 20 mins, fans turned on and off, temp stayed steady.

Neither fan turned on after car was shut off.

I did pull each relay (3) out and each temp sensor so perhaps something was not connected correctly before.

Anyway thank you

Old 03-02-2012, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

Cool......

Did you get the cruise working?

Old 03-03-2012, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by poorman212
Cool......

Did you get the cruise working?

I have not gotten to the Pick n Pull yet for the linkage to connect the cruise cable up.

However I think it is going to work fine as right now if I hit set on the steering wheel the CRUISE icon lights up on the dash and when i tap the breaks it turns off.