General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

My last attempt

Old 06-27-2010, 04:34 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default My last attempt

alright im almost done with this car and im about to junk it, can someone please help or guide my to find out what my problem is before i do.

car still wont start, makes a "put put" noise like its trying to
has good fuel pressure, spark, timing belt is not broken, not missing teeth.

found out the timing was off, fixed the timing and still wouldnt start, came to find out that the timing was off again. eventually the starter was making a grinding noise but i luckily had another starter and installed it, the teeth on the old starter were pretty worn. flywheel looked pretty worn but i think its okay since theres no more grinding noises.

also when cranking, the starter makes a constant solid noise, not a "crank, crank, crank" noise like normal.

what in the heck is making the timing go way off? could a couple worn teeth on the flywheel cause this?

im at a loss on this

thanks you guys

Old 06-27-2010, 04:51 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

For the cam timing to change the belt would have to be too loose or damage to the belt or one of the items that it rides on such as the crank and cam sprocket. A lot of oil may fit the situation also but I would first double check my procedure for checking the timing. What year is your Accord?

Old 06-27-2010, 05:22 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

i am with Kris........something is got to be loose or worn for timing belt to keep on being off,,,,,,,,,assuming it was installed properly ...........
worn teeth on flywheel have nothing to do with timing belt at all,, but worn or broken teeth of flywheel and or starter can keep a car from starting ,,,

Old 06-27-2010, 05:46 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by kris_loehr
For the cam timing to change the belt would have to be too loose or damage to the belt or one of the items that it rides on such as the crank and cam sprocket. A lot of oil may fit the situation also but I would first double check my procedure for checking the timing. What year is your Accord?
94 accord lx

Old 06-27-2010, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

Did you get a Honda timing belt?

The reason I asked, is that I bought an aftermarket belt on my first TB job. I was pretty thorough on the first one I tried by myself.

I marked my original Honda belt with whiteout so I would be sure it was installed properly. When I went to transfer the marks to the new belt, I counted the teeth between the marks and kept being one off. The aftermarket belt had an extra tooth. I got one from the dealership, and it was identical to the original Honda belt.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:09 PM
Newest Of Newbies

yes oem timing belt

anybody know my it makes a solid noise when cranking, it makes a constant (whirrrrr) noise, not a (crank, crank, crank) noise like normal

i know the starter i put on it is good

Old 06-28-2010, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

The crank-crank-crank noise comes from the engine's compression. A constant whirring means there's no compression. You'll get the constant sound if all 4 sparkplugs are removed. Or (unfortunately) if the valves are bent.