General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my speedo is going crazy

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 05:21 PM
Default my speedo is going crazy

from time to time ill b driving and my speedo will start acting up, the needle will go bak n forth from 0 to past 240, the washer fluid light turns on and the engine temp gauge stops working also ... if i smack my dash it'll all work normally lol hopefully only a bad ground

jump to around 1:30min and watch till end

lemme kno wat u guys think

Old 11-09-2011, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

What year of accord do you have?

First of all, your check engine light is on and you should check for codes. In the common DIY thread on top of the gen tech help forum, there is a link on how to check engine codes. Post any codes on here.

Secondly, wear your seat belt to be safe.

Does the cruise control work when the speedometer is not working?

Overall, I think that this could be caused by a couple of problems.

1. The vehicle speed sensor is not working and causing the speedometer to act up (checking engine codes and the cruise control test will help). And the engine temperature sending unit is messed up (we can give you test for this too).

2. The instrument cluster is messed up. Or the speedometer and the temperature gauge is messed up.

Both are relatively simple to fix.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:45 PM

its a 2000 4-dr ex, and my check engine light is not on ... that light u see in the left side corner(yellow) is my washer fluid light as i stated in my first post

lol i dont wear my seatbelt ... jokin! just so happened i wasnt wearing it in this video

the cruise control works perfectly fine even when the speedo isnt

if it is the vss i must only be a loose wire because it only does it from time to time it'll work then as u see in the video it'll go bonkers

Old 11-10-2011, 06:08 PM

I have the same problem to,,,

Old 11-10-2011, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

I think the problem is with your instrument cluster. You may be able to find one from a junkyard, ebay, ... I like using car-part.com and searching the results by price or distance. You may be able to take apart the cluster and use your original speedometer that has the correct mileage for your car.