General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mystery starting problem - Honda Accord 2003

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 01:02 PM
swayzak
Unregistered
Default RE: Mystery starting problem - Honda Accord 2003

Thanks again everyone - but does anyone have an answer to a critical question:

Incidently, would it be possible forthe battery to be at fault here, but not detectable as faulty by the garage test(s) ? This is obviously what I'm hoping for !

Old 02-12-2008, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

In my experience, faulty testing is a frequent problem. How was the test performed? Was a load test or simple voltage check performed? A voltage test only says the battery has a certain voltage w/ no load. Voltage may dive as soon as load is applied indicating a bad battery. Load test must be performed on a fully charged battery. Was this the case?

No way to be absolutely certain, but you did right thing by going w/ battery first. It will eventually fail, so even if old one was not the problem, it's not too bad a mistake.

good luck

Old 02-12-2008, 11:10 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Sounds like the battery to me as well. We have the same issue with our '04 Acura MDX. There a numerous complaints about the battery lasting only 2 years with the same symptoms. I have had very similar problems as you described. The battery in our MDX is a Delphi battery that came with it, what kind of battery was in your Accord. Your UK Accord is marketed as an Acura TSX here in the US, maybe them both being "Acura" may be why we have some parallels... just a thought. Hope the new battery is treating you well! I have 3 brothers, so I understand why you need the reliability with your 2 kids.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:51 AM
Super Moderator

Has replacing the battery fixed your problem?

Old 02-13-2008, 02:36 AM
swayzak
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: TexasHonda

In my experience, faulty testing is a frequent problem. How was the test performed? Was a load test or simple voltage check performed? A voltage test only says the battery has a certain voltage w/ no load. Voltage may dive as soon as load is applied indicating a bad battery. Load test must be performed on a fully charged battery. Was this the case?

No way to be absolutely certain, but you did right thing by going w/ battery first. It will eventually fail, so even if old one was not the problem, it's not too bad a mistake.

good luck
Sounds like the battery to me as well. We have the same issue with our '04 Acura MDX. There a numerous complaints about the battery lasting only 2 years with the same symptoms. I have had very similar problems as you described. The battery in our MDX is a Delphi battery that came with it, what kind of battery was in your Accord. Your UK Accord is marketed as an Acura TSX here in the US, maybe them both being "Acura" may be why we have some parallels... just a thought. Hope the new battery is treating you well! I have 3 brothers, so I understand why you need the reliability with your 2 kids.
Has replacing the battery fixed your problem?
Many thanks (everyone) - so far so good (it's only been a day though ). It will be a relief to find out my uber-reliable Honda remains uber-reliable ! I remember my old Vauxhall-GM Vectra - spent about £2000 fixing all sorts of (mainly) electrical/ECU problems out until I binned it (terrible car) ... never again please.

Will post an update in a few weeks - hopefully what has happened to me might be useful for someone else (and finch13's sounds like the same problem).

Old 02-22-2008, 11:27 AM
swayzak
Unregistered

Twas the battery, m'lud. Has been fine since replacement.

Relieved that my Accord maintains the reliability I bought it for ...