General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 08:23 PM
jorge
Unregistered
Default Need advice

I bougth my dauther a 1994 Accord with 142000 miles. Don't know if the timing belt have been change so I will do so and the water pump also; my question now is; do I need to install new tensioner and Idle pulley or just the timing belt , balance shaft beltand water pump would do? Thanks

Old 09-16-2007, 01:16 AM
Default RE: Need advice

I would say change all the tensioners atleast. I wouldn't think that the pulleys are going to go bad on you. But since the timing belt and balance shaft belt is kind of a large job and a lot of work, I'd recomend changeing the tensioners also. I say this because I had problems with my tensioners in my 96' at around 135k miles. Timing belt was never changed before so I did it all at the same time.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:25 AM

Most people say not to change the tensioners. Just check them and make sure they are operating properly. I didn't have the tensioners changed on either one of my accords. But if you feel safer changing them, by all means, do so.

Old 09-17-2007, 04:18 PM
jorge
Unregistered

Yes I going to check them out and see if they need to be remplace or not. Thanks everybody

Old 09-17-2007, 04:46 PM

This is one topic where the forum is pretty well split... Lots of people don't change them and haven't had issues, some changed them.... No real defenitive information or thoughts on this one so I'll just give my opinion. I've never done it in the past but if the parts (Honda OEM) are only a few dollars then I don't see why you wouldn't.

Long and short: no real evidence of why you should and no real evidence of why you shouldn't but hefty arguments either way.

Old 09-17-2007, 04:50 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

the only time that i ever change them is , if when all apart,. i spin them and they are noisy ,otherwise i reuse them,, I have done t-belt on some cars 2 times ( because of mileage ) and tensioners still ok,
But i would replace all the seals ,, camshaft. crank, balancer shaft seal ( instal the retainer ) oil pump seal

Old 09-17-2007, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

When I changed timing belts on my previous 90 EX Accord at 250K miles, I bought new tensioners since I was unsure how long they had been in place (probably original). I removed the bearing covers to inspect the condition of the bearings and found the grease was almost completely dry. I doubt the bearings would have lasted another TB interval. I would suggest changing the tensioners w/ 2nd TB change. These parts are not expensive and easy to replace. A binding tensioner idler would likely cause TB failure and engine damage (valves hit pistons).

Regards