General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Advice on 2001 Accord ECM Repair or Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 01:46 PM
AccordMeister
Unregistered
Default Need Advice on 2001 Accord ECM Repair or Replacement

I have a 2001 Honda Accord. The check engine light was on and I took it in to the dealer. The code off the light (Code P0113) said that it was the IAT Sensor Circuit. However when they checked further they found it wasn't that the circuit itself was bad, but rather that the part of the ECM that ties into that circuit was broken.

They said that even though only this one part of the ECM is not working, they can't repair just that part of the ECM, but that I would have to get a whole new ECM, which is pretty pricey. It's Honda Part 37820PAAA54.
So I'm wondering if anyone knows:

1) Whether there are people who can just fix the ECM so I don't need a new one.

2) If I do need a new ECM, where I could get that part cheaper. The new one from Honda that the dealer recommended is expensive. I've found a few cheaper ones online in various places, but not sure what I should trust.

3) If there is anyone who can install it well that's trustworthy around here and may charge less than the dealer.

I'm in the Detroit area.

If anyone has any advice I'd greatly appreciate it!

Old 05-04-2009, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

You can pick one up from a junkyard. car-part.com will search by distance.

Installing it should be pretty simple even if you wanted to do it yourself. A shop manual is all you would need. See online manuals thread in DIY section.

PCMs are pretty durable. Make sure that the junkyard will allow you to return it if you still get the same code and the IAT sensor is really the problem and the dealership misdiagnosed it.

Old 05-04-2009, 03:58 PM
AccordMeister
Unregistered

Thanks so much for the response. I will definitely look around for the part, used possibly. It sounds like you feel that it's relatively safe to get a used ECM since they're so durable?

As far as installing it myself, I'd love to try it. But I can't find any manual on any of the links for a 2001 Accord EX or even any other 2001 Accord. I also searched around the web and can't find one anywhere I took a look under my hood and can't find where the ECM is whatsoever.

Finally, doesn't the ECM require some kind of programming to make it compatible with my car? If so, I couldn't really do the installation myself could I? Or am I mistaken about that?

Thanks so much for the help!

Old 05-04-2009, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator

PCM is low & forward in the console. Basically, under the radio is a storage bin. The PCM is forward & below that. So you gotta take the console out... (PITA) You may be able to see the PCM if you peel back the carpeting just below the plastic dash/console parts, but I don't know if you can unbolt/remove it like that.

The PCM is a combined computer for the engine and the tranny. So whether you have auto or manual, you need one to match.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

I forgot about the immobilizer on the newer accords and that the DIY section links only have manuals for up to 2000 accords.

The immobilizer reprogrammed by a dealership for your keys to work. Other independent shops may be able to do this repair as well. Just call around to get a quote from shops. There may be some in your area the specialize Honda repairs.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:27 AM
AccordMeister
Unregistered

From all accounts, it makes most sense for me to just have the dealer do the installation. So at this point my only concerns are really:

1) If they diagnosed it correctly. I don't really see any way to know unless I got a second opinion - which I'd probably have to pay for too - or until after they put the replacement ECM in and see if anything else comes up.

2) Where to get the part. The part from the dealer obviously will have better warranty, but it way more expensive than some of the used parts. I am assuming with this particular part, the ECM, it's pretty safe to put in a used one as they are pretty durable? I've found some used ones for a pretty good price. It just always feels risky getting a part that way. You never know for sure what you're getting.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:57 AM
Super Moderator

Tell them if it doesn't fix the problem, you're gonna want the old one back in there & maybe pay for some fair amount of labor but not for the ECU that didn't fix it.