General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 09:32 PM
Default Need Advice

Hi, I'm new here and I'm hoping someone might be able to help me with my situation. About a month ago I purchased a 1997 Accord EX V6 w/ 143000 miles on it and intended for it to be my daily driver. I bought it from a private party (craigslist) and paid 2600 for it. I test drove it and it seemed to run well.

Well, during the first week of driving it, I started hearing a rattling type sound coming from the engine compartment. I then noticed the rattling sound would get louder whenever the rpms increased. I had planned on taking it somewhere that weekend to have a look at it, but on my way to work on Fri afternoon, in rush hour traffic, my low oil pressure light started flashing and the engine struggled and eventually stalled. I got it to the side of the interstate and let it sit for ten mins and attempted to start it but it wasnt happening. So I had it towed back home.

Its been sitting there ever since as I dont know what I should do with it. Ive started it a couple times and it starts right up, but there is a loud rattling coming from inside the engine, even at idle. Sounds horrible. I'm pretty certain I need a new engine or need to have this one rebuilt, but I dont really have the money to put into it. It's in really good shape and has new tires, new brakes and new ac on it. What would it be worth as is? Anybody have any ideas on what my best move would be? Any help you guys could give me I would really appreciate. Thanks for reading.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator

The noise is likely not good. If the oil pressure was low for too long, the crank and/or connecting rod bearings may be shot.

I think the oil pressure depends on the clearance of the bearings as well.

The proper route to proceed depends on what time and money you want to put into the car. Check out car-part.com to get an idea of the price of the engine. You may want to call around to get an idea of the price to install. Maybe someone at your local junkyard can give a recommendation.

The 95-97 accords were the first year with a V6 engine, so there will likely be less available.

I think rebuilding the original engine will cost more than replacing the engine.

You will have to search around for the price of selling the 97 accord for an engine rebuild.