General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice on repairs

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 06:30 PM
Default Need advice on repairs

My wife has a 2001 Honda Accord ex 3.0L V-6 automatic. 97,000 miles

Problem #1
The Honda dealer told her she has 2 broken motor mounts, 1 front, 1 side.
Honda dealer cost to repair: $669
At an AAA car repair facility I've used for my truck, the mechanic there
gave us a quote that was $500. BUT, he said that due to possible wear and
tear on the other mounts, they should also be replaced for a total of $1076.
We have to keep the car for at least another 5 years.
Does it make sense to replace all the motor mounts?

Problem #2
The timing belt should be changed at 110,000 miles. So now seems like a
good time to do it. Honda dealer cost to replace: $749
My AAA mechanic cost to replace: $500
BUT my AAA mechanic recommends as long as they are there, the water pump
should be changed also. Belt and Pump: $780
Does it make sense to replace both the pump and belt?
or......just trying to take advantage of a mechanically challenged me.

Thanks for any advice.
hondamartin

Old 01-08-2013, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

Problem #1

Its possible the others could be worn, but $1076 to replace all of them seems quite steep, the parts cost next to nothing for that job.

Problem #2
$500 is a pretty decent rate to have a timing belt done. Are you sure the $749 at the dealer does not include the water pump? Most dealer would include that in their job. I would definitely recommend doing the water pump at the same time as the timing belt because its very bad if it breaks, and to replace it you have to take the timing belt off so you my as well do it while your there. It seems odd that they would charge $280 more to replace the water pump when they are already doing the timing belt. The water pump itself is $35-50, and its just a few extra bolts once the timing belt is off.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:54 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Personally I would just do the 2 mounts that are bad, unless the shop can point out obvious and significant damage to the other mounts.

When you do the timing belt, you always do the water pump. Things are disassembled and your right there, so they are not joking on that one.

I had my timing belt/seals/water pump 3 years ago on my 97 Accord and it was 588.00 from a Honda shop, not dealer. Might check on any Honda/Acura specific shops in your area.

Good luck!

Old 01-09-2013, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

I have a question regarding the timing belt; are you the original owner of the car? If so, why didn't the timing belt get done after seven years (which is Honda's recommendation regardless of mileage)? If you're not the original owner, you might want to search the maintenance records to see if the belt was done back in 2008.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:42 PM

It's my wife's car, she's independent, and wants to do everything herself. We haven't been married that long. She bought it new and has been taking it to same dealer she bought it from. I checked her records and had dealer check their records. Belt has never been changed. Dealer's first mention of it was last April of 2012. That is when I got more
involved. (at her request) This is Vega$ baby. Hot, dry, severe driving conditions. Looks like dealer Fubar'ed this one. Belt should have been changed much earlier like you said.
(I kinda dropped the ball too)

Old 01-09-2013, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

I say get that thing in for a timing belt fast, your current one is on seriously borrowed time. Think about it this way, $750 for a belt and pump is a fraction of what you'll pay if the belt breaks and you need to have both heads pulled and the valves redone.

As for the motor mounts, as has been suggested, do the two which are broken unless other obvious damage has been done.