General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help..possible door lock actuator issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 01:20 PM
Default Need help..possible door lock actuator issue

2003 Honda Accord V6 Coupe

Issue: My key fob will not unlock or lock the doors, it will unlock the trunk.
When i am inside the car and i push to unlock the door i can hear it make noise but it doesn't unlock, i have to manually unlock and lock doors.

Checked fuses, they are all good. Checked switch on side of door near floor not broken..

Anybody ever had this issue before? if so how'd you fix it?

Old 07-19-2011, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

What happens when you try to lock/unlock the doors using the passenger's switch?

Old 09-10-2011, 03:06 PM

I have the same model and similar problem.

Drivers door locks and unlocks fine with both remote and lock/unlock button on driver and passenger doors. However neither the remote nor neither door button will unlock the passenger door. It ALWAYS has to be locked/unlocked manually.

Is this an actuator and if so, where would this actuator be located in the vehicle?

Thanks

Old 09-10-2011, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ltl lifer
I have the same model and similar problem.

Drivers door locks and unlocks fine with both remote and lock/unlock button on driver and passenger doors. However neither the remote nor neither door button will unlock the passenger door. It ALWAYS has to be locked/unlocked manually.

Is this an actuator and if so, where would this actuator be located in the vehicle?

Thanks
Refer to this link:

driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11251

Old 09-10-2011, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

One more thing. The link I included above shows instructions for latch and actuator removal together. However, on most Hondas, the actuator can be removed separately without removal of the latch. I find that is usually easier and faster than removal of the whole latch and actuator.

Here's another link with very clear images:

justanswer.com/honda/1qxhq-need-help-installing-door-lock-actuator-03-honda-accord.html

Last edited by redbull-1; 09-10-2011 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:37 PM

Tks for the quick response redbull. In your opinion, whether or not this is the issue or not:

a. would you just replace it
b. approx. cost at dealer
c. a part you can get from auto-zone?

Based on what I have researched across this forum, sounds like the actuator is a common problem.
I had already read the post on testing the actuator on driveaccord.net. Makes sense though.

Last edited by ltl lifer; 09-10-2011 at 03:39 PM. Reason: added thought.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ltl lifer
Tks for the quick response redbull. In your opinion, whether or not this is the issue or not:

a. would you just replace it
b. approx. cost at dealer
c. a part you can get from auto-zone?

Based on what I have researched across this forum, sounds like the actuator is a common problem.
I had already read the post on testing the actuator on driveaccord.net. Makes sense though.
a. I would test it first by taking the door panel off, then disconnecting the electrical plug for the actuator and then apply 12volt battery power to test it. Some people run long wires from the car battery to test, I have my own small 12volt lantern battery to test (I'll try to dig up my post with a picture.)

If actuator is dead, I would replace it with a part from Honda. The list price on the part is approximately $54, discounted internet Honda dealer around $37 plus shipping and handling. I found local dealerships to mark-up over list; however, if you show them something with the list price, some parts guys will match.

hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=ACCORD&catcgr y2=2003&catcgry3=2DR+EX+%28V6%29&catcgry4=KA5AT&ca tcgry5=DOOR+LOCKS+-+OUTER+HANDLE

b. Dealerships price to replace varies greatly from dealer to dealer sometime. It really should not be more than an hour labor plus the part. I would shop around for labor pricing. Also, this is a job many independent shops can do quite easily; so don't count them out.

c. Autozone may be able to get it an aftermarket for you. However, I heard some people had some aftermarket actuator that did not last that long. Call around and compare pricing with OEM and decide.

d. There is a a youtube video that a guy opened his actuator and found the brushes in the motor worn out. He bought new motors for around $20 from ebay; but, still had to do some modification to the motor as the motor in the Honda actuator had a longer shaft than his ebay motors.

An actuator is basically just a motor with gears. I would not try to just replace the motor, unless I found a compatible motor that was less expensive and the motor was the source of the problem.

I have repaired 5th generation Accord door lock actuators before, as it usually was just the rubber bump stops and not a dead motor.

Attached Thumbnails Need help..possible door lock actuator issue-door-lock-actuator.jpg  

Last edited by redbull-1; 09-10-2011 at 04:39 PM. Reason: added image
Old 09-10-2011, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

1. Refer to post #6 in this thread regarding testing the actuator. Although this thread is for an earlier model Accord, it is the same principal to test.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...ctuator-36689/

2. This is the video link to a guy that replaced the motor. His is a sedan; but, coupe should be very similar.

youtube.com/watch?v=wyjsRGqR5zY

Old 09-10-2011, 08:12 PM

Redbull, thanks. This is the tact that i will tke to test it. I would bet money that the passenger side actuator is bad.

I've pulled many Honda door panels so as to replace the factory speakers with upgrades. It is not that big of a deal to pull the panel. I have a test light and will follow the test instructions you referred me too.

Thank you for your input and your help. I will post my findings and results.