General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help w location of ac/heater vent flap? 5th generation

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 10:07 AM
Default I need help finding location of ac/heater vent flap. 5th generation

1997 LX, four cylinder

The ac is only partially cooling down the car interior even though I had the ac charged recently. The round **** on the dash that controls the temp from 'blue to red' is "sticking" and wont turn all the way to the 'blue' position. Apparently the vent flap/door controlled by the **** is not closing (or opening) all the way. Can anyone describe where this flap is located so that I can try to manually help it to close (open) while someone else turns the control **** on the dash? I'm guessing this flap is still controlled by a cable, as opposed to a rheostat on the newer models.

thanks in advance for your help

Last edited by 75Gremlin; 08-06-2018 at 10:12 AM.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

The parts drawings don't really help me understand how it all hooks together & works.

But the control **** works a cable down to the heater unit under the center of the dash. That operates a lever that does 2 things... It operates an air-blend door and it also connects to a 2nd cable that goes into the engine compartment. That 2nd cable operates a water valve on the heater hose.

I don't know what can be done in the way of adjustment, but if the water valve runs out of travel too soon, then the blend door can't move as far as it should. Then the heat doesn't stop until the heater core eventually cools off several minutes later.

Or maybe something is just blocking the entire system from moving all the way to the cold end of the control. So look at the water valve as well as the heater unit under the dash.

Old 08-06-2018, 12:15 PM

Thanks Jim, I think your post will be helpful. This weekend, I'll have someone turn the control **** while I look under the hood for the cable that operates the valve on the heater hose to see if it is functioning correctly.

If anyone knows if the lever under the dash (that Jim references in his post above) is easily accessible and where it might be found, I would appreciate any info.

Thank you

Old 08-06-2018, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

#7 is the mode motor that switches between air to your feet-face-windshield, so those levers aren't what you're looking for.

I guess that leaves the stuff around #8, but the parts list for your car doesn't call for #8 to exist in your car. But maybe the levers & cranks in that neighborhood are what you're looking for.

The cable #10 is the 2nd cable that goes out to the water valve. This picture doesn't do a good job of showing where it connects. See what I mean the parts drawings don't help much?

The actual repair manual is what you want. There's a link somewhere in the sticky threads, so I'll look around for it.

Attached Thumbnails need help w location of ac/heater vent flap?  5th generation-1997-heater-unit.gif  
Old 08-06-2018, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

A 12-year-old post with links to some manuals. Not sure if the links still work...
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...-manuals-4597/

Old 08-06-2018, 09:30 PM

thanks Jim, I will check it out