General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need new clutch or...?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 05:41 PM
poser_pilot6
Unregistered
Default need new clutch or...?

My car has a little issue. When I push the clutch in to start the car, it seems like the car doesnt KNOW that the clutch is in, like its not making a connection or something. It has had this problem for a while, but it was very intermittent, it would only happen once every couple of weeks at the most, and all I had to do was push the clutch in a little farther or let it out just a tad, and the car would fire right up. But the other day, the car wouldnt start, and I had to pump the clutch about ten times, not all the way in and out, but just working it throught the last third of its travel. That is the technique I have had to use the last five or six times I have started the car. It happens whether the car is cold or has been running, however, it HAS been raining while I have been having these increased problems. Does anyone know if I need a whole new clutch, or if there is just some kind bad connection going on here that would be easily fixed? Thanks in advance for any help...

Old 11-02-2006, 08:33 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: need new clutch or...?

First of all input the year and model,,,,,,,,,do it on your signaure so we all know

secondly,,, sounds like you got an issue with the hydraulic system, chk the reservoir , chk for leaks, clutch master and slave and lines,,

Old 11-02-2006, 08:53 PM

check your fluid first but if that's not the issue it's possible that it's a sensor on the clutch pedal that is sticking....

Old 11-03-2006, 01:50 AM
Super Moderator

I thought he meant the starter wouldn't crank the engine. If that's the case, then its nothing with the hydraulic system. Gotta be the clutch-pedal switch.

Old 11-03-2006, 01:40 PM
poser_pilot6
Unregistered

Sorry all, its a 94 LX four door.

JimBlake, you got it, it wont engage the starter. It just gives a click. I know its not a problem with the battery, its only about a month old. The clutch pedal sensor, is that something fairly easy to take care of? I really dont think the clutch itself is a problem, it doesnt have any difficulty shifting, and it doesnt seem to slip at all.

Thanks for the help, gents.

Old 11-03-2006, 02:04 PM

ORIGINAL: JimBlake

I thought he meant the starter wouldn't crank the engine. If that's the case, then its nothing with the hydraulic system. Gotta be the clutch-pedal switch.
ooops . i guess i misinterpreted what he was trying to say........when he said he had to push the clutch a little further i touhgt there was no resistance in the pedal..But i am glad that you caught it

anyho.. to chk if it is the clutch switch that is causing the problem all you got to do is jump the switch ,, blue/red and blk/green wires , unplug the connector from the clutch switch and plug thoise 2 wires together,, if car starts ok everytime than you got a bad switch.......
if it still clicks it is a possible starter, battery, loose or corroded cables

try something. when car does not start ( clicks) .. have a friend try starting it, get a big screwdriver and bang on the starter a few times , if it starts while banging on it you got a bad starter

Old 11-03-2006, 02:10 PM
poser_pilot6
Unregistered

Where is the clutch sensor located? Is that in the engine bay, or up under the dash?

Im pretty sure the problem is in the clutch. To start it I was just holding the key to the start position, and then pumping the clutch a little until I hit the right spot where it would crank. It doesnt sound like a starter problem to me. But Im no mechanic either.

Old 11-03-2006, 02:22 PM

ORIGINAL: poser_pilot6

Where is the clutch sensor located? Is that in the engine bay, or up under the dash?
it is located under the dash by the clutch pedal ,,

Old 11-03-2006, 02:42 PM

sorry about that I got a tad confused as well... it happens.... like desert said just look up under the dash around where the bar that connects to the clutch pedal itself is and you should see a small "switch" it will have the two wires that desert mentioned coming out of it, jumper the two wires (I've cautiously used paper clips on numerous occaisons to do this) and try to start the car, if it runs fine/starts just fine every time then you know that it's a bad switch.... however, the less "labor intensive" option is to do like he said and beat the **** out of the starter (don't dent it severly or break it *L*) while you're holding the car in the start position.... Keep us updated