General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need some help....again

Old 01-14-2009, 12:55 PM
GreekBoy
Unregistered
Default Need some help....again

Hello everyone,

I was out of the country for 3 weeks, and while I was away I was telling my brother-in-law to start my car every 2-3 days. I live in Toronto and as you know it get's very cold up here. Now when I cam back I noticed my ABS light, my Traction control light, and TCS light was on.....I took it to my mechanic and he hooked it up to the computer and found the source of the problem. It happens to be that the ABS Control unit is fried. The mechanic told me that this is really rare....anyways the dealership was asking for $1700 for the assembly kit (3 parts in the kit) but luckily I found a used part for around $300......my question is has anyone else had this problem? And why did this fail?

If that's not bad enough, yesterday I noticed that my heated seats are not working and my power seat isnt working!!!!

Could it just be a coincidence that everything broke at the same time? Could the cold have anything to do with it? I remember after I installed my HID Xenon lights I've had these problems, but people tell me that it has nothing to do with it. My mechanic told me depending on how I was boosting the car it could have fried some things in the car.

I need some help, anyone?

Old 01-14-2009, 02:24 PM
Default RE: Need some help....again

boosting? like turbo? or driving hard? and they tried chargingme 2000$ for a new cat and just pads

Old 01-14-2009, 02:34 PM
GreekBoy
Unregistered

No sorry I forgot to tell you boosting meaning....when your battery die's and you need a "boost" Could that cause damage to your car?

Old 01-14-2009, 02:36 PM

DEFFinatly, espically if you do it battery to battery(which i tend to do haha), but yeah always boost battery postive to postive, battery negtavie(bootser) to frame(booste)

Old 01-14-2009, 02:38 PM
GreekBoy
Unregistered

Oh crap......I was doing positive to positive, negative to negative......but that was 1 month before the problems started

Old 01-14-2009, 02:44 PM

could be something your bro did.... i hate to say he might of had some "fun" with it idk, but eltrical problems are a REAL pain in the behind to figure out

Old 01-14-2009, 03:24 PM
GreekBoy
Unregistered

I know what your saying, but he's not the "crazy" type, and he would let me know if he did something wrong....ye I would be mad but he's family. He did tell me one day he tried to turn on the car and it took a while before it started.....but as for the ABS control unit, have you heard of that screwing up?

Old 01-14-2009, 03:25 PM

not really, i think there has to be an unnatural cause, not even my blazer had that kinda problem and that thing had a problem with everything

Old 01-14-2009, 07:40 PM
GreekBoy
Unregistered

It's weird because he noticed that the fuse that controls the ABS controller was popped and then he noticed that their was a lose wire...he fixed both but still the problem is there.....im thinking maybe their was a short because the wire was used and the fuse didnt protect the ABS controller, what you think?