General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need Some Help - Replacing Wheel Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 06:21 PM
panamared
Unregistered
Default Need Some Help - Replacing Wheel Bearings

I'm a new honda owner and new to the forum. I've got a '98 accord Ex 4cylinder and it is in need of front wheel bearings. I'm positive that this is the problem due to the typical whine, etc. I also tried the loading each side and the noise was louder. I will have no problem doing all the work upto the actual replacement of the bearing. I've got a 20 ton hydraulic jack and was thinking I might be able to press the bearing in the hub using that. Is this a bad idea? I called around and local shops wanted $100 per side to press the bearing into the hub if I brought it to them off the car. If anyone has any insight or ideas of the best way to do this I would greatly appreciate it. I'm in Dallas, TX, if there is anyone in thearea that owns a press, I would love to pay to use it for an hour or two.

Thanks in advance for any help

Old 03-26-2007, 06:26 PM
Default RE: Need Some Help - Replacing Wheel Bearings

that's nuts.... I have never heard of a shop charging that much to just push in a bearing..... you may look into renting some tools from a local parts store, you may be able to do that for much cheaper.... I'm sure you could figure out a way to press it in using some basic tools, a jack and a little injinuity(sp) but I'm not sure how or if it's even that feasable... I'd probably call some local parts stores first...

Old 03-26-2007, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I agree w/ Sir_Nasty on the machine shop charges. I would suggest trying other shops. I've known some to advertise their price for this commonly required service. Also check auto parts stores for leads on someone to do this for a reasonable price. I suspect your shop did not want the work and gave you the "go away & don't bother us" price.

A hydraulic jack is not enough w/o an overheadrestraint forthe assembly, assuming jack is on the floor. You may be able to rent the driver and receiver to support the piece.

I have a pdf procedure to help w/ removal of the rotors. Not sure if the 98's have floating or captured rotors? PM me w/ your email address if you want the procedure.

good luck

Old 03-28-2007, 04:57 PM
panamared
Unregistered

I was able to find a shop that pressed them for 50 a side. still kind of expensive but much better than trying to get the bearings in with a jack. Next up - changing the timing belt.

Old 03-28-2007, 06:57 PM

as for the timing belt there is a load of information on that in our DIY section that more than one person who's not very mechanically inclined have used to do the whole job themselves without incident.... Did you ever look into tool rental for the bearings?

Old 04-06-2007, 02:08 PM
rbhudia
Unregistered

I have changed my bearings recently by bracing the sides of the Front disc on a smooth surface so the bearing part below is free, (you could use a couple of smooth bricks) and then got a rachet spanner that fits over the bearing and hammered out the bearing. To re-fit a new bearing I gently hammered it back into place, Job Done and the car is still working with no problems.